Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a .270, which one should I get

Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Default RE: I need a .270, which one should I get

Ah highdesertwolf. you hit it on the mark.I beg to differ with you though. The .270 does shoot flatter than the 30-06. while it doesn't hold the literal energy it holds more per weight of bullet than does the 06. however this was not meant to be about bullets and energy, it was about a man looking for a weapon for his wife and child. I too would go with the 7mm-08. with the game you have mentioned it will work, within reason of course. I mean if you are going to try to take an elk at 500 yards then no, I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't recommend the .270 for an elk at that range. but for a 100 yard shot it would work fine. after all, shot placement is the most important thing, not caliber. I would really look for a Savage if you can find one in 7mm-08. they have a very good quality and are one of the least expensive weapons on the market. the Howa would be my next choice. they are actually a subsidiary of Weatherby. they use all the same machining as Weatherby they just give you all the unnecessary bells and whistles.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

SuperG, I was mearly making a comment sepperate from the actuall subject targeting a few people that stated " get a .270 because its sooooooooooo flat shooting" though thats not an actuall quote from anyone its kinda what those folks were implying. I am mearly just trying to note and correct folks that the .270 is not that much flatter flying then other calibers only by a slim margin in most cases only by a couple fractions of an inch and when your target is a 12 inch circle like on most large game .7 of an inch does not make any difference. I am a reloader and I am quite anal about ballistics especially when it comes to 500 and 600 yard matches, I reload these calibers .308 win, 270 win, and 30-06 all of which I use in competition. I beg to differ on one note yes the 130 grain load in .270 is flatter flying then a 30-06 in a 150 grain
load. BUT....... you take a 270, load it with an 150 grain weight bullet and ballistically compare it to a 30-06 loaded with the same bullet style and grain weight ( 150 grain ) the 30-06 shoots flatter by roughly 4 inches. I just want folks to realize since so many shooter don't know the difference in grain weight ( NO, its not the powder charge) its the bullets weight and yes it makes a huge difference just because you bought .270 shells even though they have 150 grain bullets doesn't mean its still the flattest shooting just because its a .270. I just wanted to point this out and when choosing a caliber ballistics are very important especially when you are expecting a bullet to perform a certain way. Besides it doesn't matter how flat the gun shoots, Hence you have to hit your target first. I strongly recommend getting a ballistics table though it may not give exact data to your gun and ammuntion combination it will atleast give you an idea of how different calibers preform at variable distances from the muzzle out to 1,000 yards. And remember this when choosing a high velocity small caliber (.30 caliber and smaller) for deer, bullet energy plays a good factor in cleanly killing it so keep in mind no matter the range the FT. LB. of energy should be in the ball park of 1300 to 1500 FT. LBS of energy so what ever distance your bullet falls into with that energy category that should be the maximum distance to shoot , and for elk the retained energy should be in the ball park of 1500 ft lbs to 2,000 ft lbs minimum. I just want people to be educated on this subject when buying a gun. I wish someone taught me before I got into shooting. The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge but in the comparison to the .308 for recoil there really is not much difference maybe a pound an a few ounces in felt recoil they both kick about the same as a 20 ga shotgun with a dove&quail load. But with a .308 high grain weights are available which are more suitable for elk and with a 180 grain nosler partion i've downed a elk with one shot at 200 yards give or take 10 yards. But because of the lack of variety in grain weight for the 7mm-08 unless you reload it cut off at 140 grain bullet maximum weight which i do not recommend for elk at all but if you will ( I know a someone who has killed elk with a .243 but with head and neck shots) Try to keep your shots at 100 or less yards.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gentleman looking for a gun for his wife and daughter seems to be dead set on a .270 which is a well respected caliber for it versatility and is used often as a all around caliber which to me is a great choice for that matter but the recoil of a 270 in a 6.5 lb gun ( average weight for a youth model ) the recoil is according to a felt recoil calculator is 17.29 pounds of felt recoil the same as a 12 ga pheasant load. In comparison to a 30-06 in the same weight gun is 17.82 pounds of felt recoil. Kind of a hefty punch for a lady and even for some smaller framed men.
Depending on how young your daughter is you may just hunt deer first with a lighter caliber untill she gets older the last thing you want is her to be gun shy and never want to hunt again because the gun kicks to hard, on the other hand your wife may beable to handle it. But if its a .270 you want I would recommend forgetting the youth size idea altogether. Since in a heavier framed gun the .270's felt recoil dramatically drops even in a gun just a 1 pound heavier drops the felt recoil down to 14 .59 lbs of felt recoil now the recoil is down to that of about a 20 ga dove and quail load. Lots of luck on your choice. I once again will mention the 25-06 has a felt recoil in a 6.5 lb gun of 13.53 pounds of felt recoil and in a 7.5 lb gun has 11.73 pounds of felt recoil. The 25-06 has been known to take white tails cleanly out to 250 yards and elk out to 150 yards. And would be one of my first choices for Arizona pronghorn. a hunting buddy of mine uses the 25-06 and has taken pronghorn down out to 400+ yards. Also an excellent varmint caliber.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:03 PM

i agree........ i would go with a .270 win. ive got one with a recoil pad or whatever it is called that took out most of the recoil out of it. i havent got to hunt with it yet cuz i jus now got it a couple months ago & ive done sighted it in at 300 yrds dead on. so i would recomend a 270. win or a 7mm-08. oh yea i got it with a scope & shoulder strap which was $450
Old 08-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

BENOUTHUNTIN wrote

I am grateful for all the advice. Is the .308 and 7mm-08 going to be less recoil than the .270? I have not heard of the Howa rifle before. What about a Tikka?

I have a 270 Tikka with a synthetic stock and love it! I got it a a Gander MT store in Dickson City, PA. It was around $350 w/o a scope. Tikka's are made in Finland at the Sako factory and have a Sako tigger and a Sako floating barrel. Barretta imports them to the US so if you can find one they are worth it.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its been years since i've seen a Tikka if you can find one they are a 5 star grade gun with a great price tag I've never seen them for over 400 dollars, They are 10 time better then any savage and gives remington and winchester a good run. The quality is deffinately comparible to any High grade gun on the market. The accuracy of the tikka is awesome I've only shot a few in 30-06 and 308 but all shot sub MOA groups at 100 yards ( shot less then a inch at 100 yards) The Finnish know how to make a rifle.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

BENOUTHUNTIN wrote

I am grateful for all the advice. Is the .308 and 7mm-08 going to be less recoil than the .270? I have not heard of the Howa rifle before. What about a Tikka?
The 308 and 270 have roughly the same recoil the 7mm-08 has slightly lower recoil not by much maybe by a pound less.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Benouthuntin,

Check this link out these guys here are talking about a similar subject.
http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...dex.php/t-8999
I thought, I just had was get the .270 since it will do the job and kill all the game species you are wanting to hunt. But get a SVL Recoil pad ( sims vibration labratory) these cut recoil down a ton I put one on my 300 win mag and it cut the felt recoil down to about the feeling of a 308. So one of those on a .270 i would imagine would help dramatically probably make the 270 feel like 243 or a 257 roberts or somewhere in that ball park. I talked to a friend here in Arizona he said a good caliber that will kill an elk just fine is the 30-30 win just your range would have to be short 100 yards or less, again its all about shot placement. Once again good luck friend