Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weight vs. Power

Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Weight vs. Power

I'm having a bit of a dilema. I'm looking for either a 30-06 or a 7mm rem mag, and I usually do a lot of walking during hunting season, sometimes up to 20 miles a day (no joking), and often times in deep snow during the winter. I want a flat shooting rifle with plenty of power for elk, but I also want a rifle that i can handle in the timber easily, and that is easy to carry all day long. Should I get a heavier rifle in the 7mm, or a smaller, lightweight 30-06? I've heard that getting a lightweight rifle in a magnum cartridge, such as the 7mm, is a bad idea because of the thumping that the recoil gives you. Please help!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weight vs. Power

Get either one but forget about trying to get a featherweight ....get a rifle that is balanced well and a little bit on the non-hefty side. Just make sure you get a quality sling and get no longer a barrel than you require for the velocities you need. A super light wieght rifle in either of those calibers will be somewhat uncomfortable at the range and could quickly cause some bad shooting habits. A moderately trimmed rifle is fine. Balance is an important part of the package. Honestly...you'd probably be able to trim a couple pounds by just being careful about the clothing your wear and/or carry and the gear you tote along.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:24 PM

My advice would be to walk less and then it wont matter on the serious side i might consider a 270 or even a 7mm both have plenty power for elk imo and they dont produce the recoil so you could go a featherweight
Old 05-20-2004, 09:49 PM

i would suggest a short mag. i have the 300 and i love it. it is a little lighter and more compact than the 300 win mag. i don't really notice the recoil been shooting it for three years now and am used to it. but any of the short or ultra mags would be a good choice weight and caliber wise for my money.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A light weight rifle sounds to be the ticket for you since you walk so much. A 7mm Rem. Mag. will work well for you. It may be a tiny bit intense off a bench, but you can always work around that. As for in the field, you won't even notice recoil when you are shooting at your elk. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 ways of looking at it:

1. carrying a heavy rifle over many miles is going to be much more uncomfortable and possibly painful than the momentary jolt of recoil you're going to take when you finally shoot it.

2. Its easier for most people to cut 5 lbs off their body weight to carry less around than to cut 1 lb off their rifle.

I think somewhere in between lies the answer.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Light weight rifles are available in .30-06 and .280 Rem calibers and to me are the clear preferable option over the magnums for folks doing a lot of carrying. If you're a horseback hunter that's a totally different story!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 AM
bigcountry

These days, you can get very light rifles in about any caliber 300WSM and below. I learned from experience, its about your health and how you feel to make a Rockies or newfoundland or Alaska hunt a successful joyous one. Its about a positive attitude, which you lose quick if your so fatigued cause all the junk your carrying. So if a lighter rifle is what you need to keep that positive attitude, then its well worth it. Find one that you can shoot, and shoots 2MOA or better, and call it a day.

My first Canadian hunt, I was not prepared physically for the hunt, but didn't know it at the time. I had the best of the best gear. Gun would shoot .5MOA. Had the best handloads I could build. But all that didn't mean a hill of beans when I spained my ankles and pulled my hip muscle. So worrying about a gun be the perfect balance and tearing a ragged hole is like only 30% of it.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:33 AM

flat shooter & light = 270
Old 05-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

A model 70 winchester shadow with scope weighs in around 8 lbs. That to me is not to heavy. PUt a recoil pad on it and it's a pleasant rifle to carry around and to shoot if recoil is a concern. It's amazing how a good pad can deaden the effect of recoil. I put a nice one on my m70 and it seems to kick less than my 7mm08 without the pad. I would only be concerned with barrel length. i wouldn't go much over 22-24" otherwise you may have to fight that thru the woods.

Quick Reply: Weight vs. Power

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.