Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugging for Bear... 20ga

Old 05-14-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Slugging for Bear... 20ga

New member chimming in with an inquiry. I've done a search, and found lots of information about slug guns in general, but not much info. on actual application on big game.

I plan on hunting Black Bear over bait later this year in Canada. Was initially thinking on using my Tikka T3 Lite in .308, but have this desire to try out a slug gun....

I'm thinking about purchasing a Remington Model 870 SPS 20-Gauge Slug Gun. Figure this should be enough medicine for the blackies....but then, since I have no experience in the matter, figure it would be best to inquire.

Anyone take black bear with a 20ga slug gun?

Appreciate your assistance.

P.S. Very fine site. Lots of information to sift through. Looks like I'll be busy poking around the archieves for awhile
Old 05-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Slugging for Bear... 20ga

do your self a favor and get the 12ga .......
Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

I second that thought.. get a 12 gauge. Much greater range of shells to use. 2 3/4, up to 3.5 in magnum or non mag...
Old 05-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is true that there's a much wider variety of ammo available for a 12 Ga.... If you insist on using a slug instead of a rifle bullet (would not be my choice!!), and want to use a 20, it''ll do fine if you use a slug OTHER than the Foster type, which is essentially a thin lead shuttlecock. Use as heavy a 20-ga. slug as you can find, shoot it out of a rifled bore, and choose a dense projectile like the Winchestyer Partition Gold, or one that is just as tough! In a 20 Ga. slug you have a bullet that already has a large diameter, so pentration is a lot more important than expansion!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the input. I originally considered a 12ga, but decided against it as they're too heavy.
I'm looking at the Remington 870 SPS 20ga which has a 3" chamber instead of 2 3/4", and weighs only 6lbs, and 39 1/2" overall (18 1/2" barrel). The 12ga is 1 1/4 pound heavier and a couple inches longer. And that's with the pump action. The semi-auto's are 2 pounds heavier!

Figure the 20ga would be better as I also plan on using for stalking game as well as hunting the blackies over bait.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I think the 20 will be fine I have one in a ithica and would use it in a heart beat. I don't care for 12's in slug guns too heavy and I don't know what it is but I hate the recoil, I have no problems with rifles but benching those 12's I just don't like .. I would be using a black powder if it were my hunt .. Bill
Old 05-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Hold on a minute, for you folks suggesting that you think a 20ga is "not enough gun", would you consider shooting the same bear with a muzzle loader? We are talking basically the same balistics. Compare the Winchester NP and the Remington CS to the same or similar bullet in a ML'er and I think you will find similar results.
Does anyone have any published data on this?
Old 05-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 20ga. is good enough for black bears over bait. I would use a heavy slug and my choice would be the LIGHTFIELDS, make sure the shotgun has a rifled barrel. I took a bear here in NEW JERSEY using the LIGHFIELDS but in 12ga.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:11 PM

Thanks for all the input and avice. Going out tomorrow and placing an order for the Remington 870 SPS in 20ga. I'm sure the guy at my gun shop will look at me funny as slug guns aren't popular in Texas!

Will look forward to testing it out on our feral hog population before heading up North.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:11 AM

check out an H&R ...single shot , but love mine. Dont even take my rifle when I go to PA anymore. It is heavy in 12ga ( 10.7lbs ) , but the 20ga youth model sounds like a good fit for ya. JMO

Quick Reply: Slugging for Bear... 20ga

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.