Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

8mm Mauser

Old 05-09-2004, 10:55 PM

Default 8mm Mauser

Im interested in getting a .270 Rem. 700 BDL and I noticed that they were offering the 8mm as a special edition. Anyone own one or shot one? Or better yet, anyone have an opinion on this at all?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 8mm Mauser

The Remington Classic in 8MM Mauser is a fine deer and black bear cartridge but is more of a collectors piece than a hunting gun. It favors handloaders and under good handloads will perform comparably to a .30-06.....the problem being that if .30-06 performance was desired, one could have just bought it!!!

If it's a hunting rifle you want there's a lot more to the Remington line that's a better choice. I only wish they'd put such a well designed stock on the BDL!!
Old 05-11-2004, 03:54 AM

even though i do love my CZ VZ24 chambered in 8X57J.S. mauer. i would go with either another caliber unless you reload. the ammo in the us in reloaded way under specs of what the europeans load them. unless you want to buy there ammo which can get up there. plus the 170gr. from federal and remington ammo goes about $20.99- $22.00. when you can get a 30-06sprg anf 270win cheap for ammo and have a better selection of bullets and grain
Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've not had any experience with the Remingtons, I had a Ruger No.1 and a custom Win. 70 in 8mm Mauser....

In modern arms, the 8mm mauser is capable of much of the same as the .30-06 (maybe a little shorter range for most people because of the trajectory--heavy bullets drop fast).

The 8mm suffers the same affliction of many older cartridges, like the .45-70 for example...most if not all factory loads are fairly light in deference to old mausers that would blow in half with loadings that modern arms are easily capable of handling...if you handload, you can push your modern arm to new levels, as I mentioned, to pretty well match the .30-06 on hunting ability.

I don't know that I'd pay as much as I'm sure they want for that Remington for a hunting rifle, but the 8mm's a great round.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:39 AM

Hello, I am assuming that you are not a reloader if you are then you will want a magnum caliber.

I would not reccomend an 8mm mauser. Its an old caliber that is not up to todays standard. I am a Mauser colector and own 5 of these rifles. Most of your bolt action rifles are based on the mauser design. You will find that American ammo manufactures light load this caliber but if you buy S&B or FNM its a lot more powerful. When this caliber first came out it had a .318 bullet. All guns from 1905? up are chamberd for the new and standard .323 bullet. The manufactures dont want to get sued if some one had a .318 barrel that somehow sliped through the cracks (all military guns were rebroached to .323).

I would recomend a 270 or 30-06 for the availability of ammo(they sell it everywere), price of ammo(usually around $10 a box at hunting season), and bullet selections you can buy(factory loads). A 7MM remington magnum or 300 Win magnum if you dont care about ammo price(or reload). It costs a little more but you can basicaly hunt anything in north america. Now they even sell light magnum loads. The 270 and 7mm both shoot very flat. Check out remingtons web site and go to the balistics page. You can compare 3 diffrent factory rounds(try to use the same type of bullet when comparing).
Have fun shopping
Jay