Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

500 Smith and Wesson

Old 05-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 500 Smith and Wesson

I picked up one of these behemoths in a local gun store and tried to hold it. Had the 97 inch barrel on it.......may have been the most cumbersome thing I have ever tried to aim. No thanks for me...but I'm sure theres folks who will buy it and love it...lol.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

We had a guy bring a .500 s&w out hog hunting a few weekends back. Shooting it was like having your own personal earthquake. My face hurt for three days from the muzzle pressure.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I can't get it with my .44 RSRH, it does'nt need ME killing it! And I sure as hell don't need to be within handgun range of the critter either!
Old 05-13-2004, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I was watching a show on the ESPN Outdoors not to long ago and some guy was hunting Moose with the 500 SW, he got within range and squeezed off his shot and the round in the neighboring chamber went off as well, could not believe they showed that on TV! With the LARGE pistols in mind my cousine has the Freedom Arms (I think) in the 5 shot 45/70,,,,,,,,,,,They also make a 444 Marlin model! I shoot the 444 in the rifle and could not even imagine the recoil that could be generated in the handgun. And they say the 45/70 is worse yet. That does not even sound like fun to me.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:03 AM

If you are concerned about recoil then get the longer barrel. The weight of the barrel will cut down on the recoil. I have 2 ported Taurus raging bulls in 44 mag and the 6" kicks a lot more than the 8".

There is no words to describe the 500 smith. I would have to agree that the recoil is less than a non ported 454. The noise and the air displacement? is what makes it not fun to shoot. Price out ammo its about $2 a shot for the 500. Also the reloading supplies(Bullets, brass) are expensive too. The 500 is sweet and I will probally buy one but I have to get my desert eagle 50 AE first.
Jay
Old 05-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Host of Hosts

Smith and Wesson had them on display at the NRA convention it Pittsburgh last month. Everyone was flocking to them..... very impressive weapon.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys if my SRH 454 Casull can't handle it the 500 S&W won't either. Smith is awful proud of that beast they're producing.For the price of 500S&W ammuntion they can keep it.For what you pay for one box of the 500 you could do allot more shooting with the Casull and even more with the 44Mag.I just don't see a need for a hand cannon of this size.
Ruger Redhawk

ORIGINAL: fight4yourguns

Smith and Wesson had them on display at the NRA convention it Pittsburgh last month. Everyone was flocking to them..... very impressive weapon.
F4YG shame on you being a big NRA & Gun Rights supporter ,then visiting the S&W's booth.LOL.
I probably would have done the same thing if I had been there.I sure wouldn't have wanted to run into someone I knew.I'm still trying to get that S&W thorn out of my side but it's pretty well embedded.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Host of Hosts

F4YG shame on you being a big NRA & Gun Rights supporter ,then visiting the S&W's booth.LOL

Hey RR, you know I've got to carry the weight of 20,000,000 gun owners just like you do. Only thing is is I'm getting too old and my back won't take it for too many more years without some help.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fight4yourguns

F4YG shame on you being a big NRA & Gun Rights supporter ,then visiting the S&W's booth.LOL

Hey RR, you know I've got to carry the weight of 20,000,000 gun owners just like you do. Only thing is is I'm getting too old and my back won't take it for too many more years without some help.
I hear you F4YG, I'm in the same boat, my back is about to give out.Been fighting these Anti's for a long time. It sure would make life easier if we could get a helping hand.
I just had to rattle your cage,I've lightened up on S&W but by no means ready to go back to them anytime in the near future.It takes time getting a bad taste out of your mouth.Glad to see your on the ball on the forums.Keep up the good work friend.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

i don't understand these unless you hunt big game with them... for personal protection, i don't know anyone that would be left standing if they were shot y a good marksman with any pistol... unless it's a water pistol! i like the .40 and i think i always will! but i am glad there is something out there for people who want more recoil than i can handle!

Quick Reply: 500 Smith and Wesson

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.