Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Field Grade Mausers"?????

Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Field Grade Mausers"?????

In a recent catalog I received there were rifles for sale under the charles Daly section. They were listed as "Field Grade Mauser Bolt Action Rifles"
and ranged from $310 to $500 depending on model, caliber and finish. Of course these were dealer prices....
Does anybody have any experience with these products. at such a low rprice I am concerned about the "you get what you pay for" issue.
Any input folks?
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Field Grade Mausers"?????

The Charles Daly actions are made in what was once Yugoslavia, I'm not sure which part, probably Serbia or Croatia. Anyway, the actions are the same one's that where once imported and sold by Interarms as the Interarms Mark X. They are strong solid actions but not as refined or smooth as some other european made actions such as Sako or Sauer. Just your basic solid mauser type action. Personally I would think or it as comparing a Savage to a Browning.

I've owned a few Mark X's and built my 338-06 on one. I wouldn't have any reservations or concerns about buying either a Charles Daly rifle or action if your looking to do a custom project.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply...
I've been kicking around getting a 35 Whelen or a 338-06 or a 338 Win Mag ...or even a 375 H&H
I happened to notice that the Charles Daly line has the Mausers in a "Superior Grade" (just means a walnut stock) in 375 H&H for $495.00, of course that is the dealer price, but I have a connection that would probably allow me to get it for just another $30
I'm thinking hard on it cause with a 30/06 and 8mm/06 in the cabinet I thought it made snese to provide a significant jump up in power to give me more options...
Good to know they are decent guns....I always am comfortable with Mauser actions
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charles Daly is now KBI...they was bought out recently and KBI is not honoring warrantys of previously sold Daly guns, only guns sold under the daly name since KBI bought them out.

I bought a Mauser action for the .375 H&H and it has several flaws that I'll repair myself.....I have a fairly extensice machine shop to do it with.

Whiler one action don't tell a whole story it's a pretty poor introduction to a new product line from "Daly".

The former actions and barreled actions imported by Interarms occasionally needed a little help as well. This is Zastava of Yugoslavia.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:04 PM

Vapo, I'm curious as to what type of problems you've experienced with the Daly rifles. I haven't personally had any problems with the four or five that i've owned. Then again, like I said earlier they were the older Mark X's not the current production.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious also....if the flaws are merely cosmetic no big deal to me....function is the key for me...but if there is any flaws resulting in poor or substandard operation I will avoid these "bargains"
Old 05-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. The (hinged) floorplate will not close.....it must be forced with extensive force to get it to close and then only while holding the latch open with the other hand.

2 the claw extractor does not pick up the cartridge in feeding to the barrel.....or in other words it's a push feed action and it's supposed to be a CRF action.

I have not yet barreled it so there may be other issues not yet seen but these two are certain now.

Remember....this is an action....not a finished gun.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those issues sound like enough of a problem to spend a couple extra bucks.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:01 PM

Thanks. I like specific facts like that. I'll keep it in mind for the next time I'm in the market for an inexpensive action.