Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

doing own bullet tests

Old 05-03-2004, 12:02 PM

Default doing own bullet tests

we all here of these editors in magazines doing these animal glue and these other forms of dense material when doing tests on how they hold up.

is there any place where a person can buy the same stuff they use to do your own tests? ( besides using wet phone books that don't work any way ).

i would like to do a test on how 150gr. 30-06sprg rounds will do at close ranges to see what holds up the best.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: doing own bullet tests

Quilly,

I have been wanting to find some testing material also. I found this on the Corbin website. It looks like some pretty good stuff that can be stored at room temperature, and can be melted down and reformed as is needed to keep the material in tact. It costs $130 for 6-10 lb blocks and they reccomend one ten pound block for every 250 fps of bullet velocity. Here's the site

http://www.bulletswage.com/sim-test.htm
Old 05-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Truth be known, I don't believe there is anything that will replicate a deer (or any other kind of living body) to test bullets with. That's why there's so much missing information out there now. Most of the data that has been gathered, has been from actual hunting situations where the bullet was recovered, and a fairly extensive autopsy of the animal done. It's hard to duplicate tough skin, then almost delicate internal organs, along with the occasional bone obstruction in every test/scenerio. Example: will a bullet perform the same if it smashes into the thick rib bone of a mature elk, the same as it does if it misses that rib? I leave it up to the manufacturers now days. I trust their recommendations for their bullets.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wet news papers or magazines don't duplicate an animal but it does give you a good way to compare buttet to each other.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 PM

See if anyone has a sick horse and see if you can buy it and shoot it!
Old 05-20-2004, 06:34 AM

Hey marty, Is that legal to shoot a horse. I know if anyone of those animal rights people got wind of it than there would be hell to pay.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

For God's sake, how do you think most guys deal with sick horses, cows or whatever. Not that I would bother doing that, just to test a bullet.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:36 AM

This may sound a bit twisted...I do go and get deceased cows from a local farmer for my bullet test of larger calibers. I also use roadkill for testing of varmint rounds. At times it can be a bit messy and stinky but it does the job and I get better data the you could ever get from glue blocks or wet paper tests. One word of advice.. make sure you have or have access to a backhoe to bury what is left!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why go to such pain when we all know what holds up best already? The Nosler Partition and the other double-core designs such as the Swift A-Frames, or the bonded bullets like Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Nosler Accubonds, etc., etc., ALL hold up better than any plain old cup-and-draw designs. NONE of the "flesh & bone simulations" used by the bullet testers are accurate predictors of how a bullet is going to act when it hits a live critter!