Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger has me stumped

Old 04-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ruger has me stumped

I have started working with the new 260 Ruger now that its warmed up a little in the frozen North. I have tried Remington factory corloks in 140 grain. The didn't group very well. About 2 - 2 1/2 inches. I then tried 120 grain Sierra pro-hunter's. Didn't group much better. I have tried H 4831 , Reloader 15 and H414. My best velocity through the 22 inch Ruger barrel came with a Max load of H414. @ 2910 fps with the 120 Gr. The best groups have been just over 1 1/4 inch with Sierra 85 grain Varmiters at about 3350 fps. Well I tried another H414 load today 120 Gr,(windy again) the group again around 2 inches. I waited a while and the wind died down so I went out to 200 yards and set up four pieces of clay tergets about 3 inches square. Back to the table. Broke all four pieces with four shots. What gives here? could that darn thing shoot better at 200 yards than it does at 100? I have had the trigger redone and I have about two hundred rounds through it so far. I am thinking of Floating the barrel. I am not the best at shooting at paper targets. I am more apt to hit a little piece of clay target at 200 yard than I am to hit a 4 inch bullseye at 100 yards. Maybe its a mental thing. I might try to hard when it comes to group shooting although I shoot good groups with my Remington pump. The pump however seems to fit me better than any other gun I have had. I have not played around much with the angled action screw and I have heard that it can effect the way the shoot. Any Ruger shooters have an idea on this? The last Ruger I had was a 7MM mag and it shot very well. It kicked like three Mules though.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger has me stumped

I am thinking of Floating the barrel.
Now there's a good idea.....IMO that should have been done BEFORE you went to the range.....OK...I know...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

A friend has a .223 that he was ready to sell because it would not group at 100yrds.
He is very good with rifles and tried everything.
One day just for grins he started blasting away at long distance targets,200yrds and farther, it was a tack driver.
For what ever reason it seemed liked the bullets were not stabilized at 100yrds. No matter what weight of bullet or load he tried.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not used to having to float barrels as I shoot mostly Remingtons which use the pressure point system. I loaded one more load tonight and will give that a try befor I do anything else. Thanks for the replys.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some rifles do group better beyond 100 yds. Good luck
Old 04-22-2004, 08:13 AM

That could be the whole thing! I do that alot, I shoot at paper and have ok groups but aren't what I want. I go and shoot at objects 200-500 yards out (not on a bench) and hit them. I go back to the bench and can't group close enough. I think its just in my head!
[quote]
I am not the best at shooting at paper targets. I am more apt to hit a little piece of clay target at 200 yard than I am to hit a 4 inch bullseye at 100 yards. Maybe its a mental thing.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I got my Ruger 77 300 WSM shooting .6 inch groups at 100 yards with a 180gr XLC at 3000 fps. All of the guns I reload for Ruger, Remington, Thompson, and 2 Mausers all shoot better at the max loads. What type of scope do you use? All my scopes have normal cross hairs while my uncle has a scope that the cross hairs stop in the center and there is a circle(no cross hairs in the circle). At 100 yards the target is too close to have a definite aiming point and the best group I can get is about 1.5 inches. I know with normal cross hairs I could shoot it a ot better than that. All of the guns I reload for shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards with two of them toughing holes and three of them under .5 inches at 100 yards.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some rifles do group better beyond 100 yds.
I'll accept that on your word....however I've never experienced it myself. Can anyone explain the physics in this?....are we saying that the bullets may actually travel in a helical path? Sorry but I'm totally unable to dream up a force diagram to explain this.....heck with it.....I just plain don't believe it.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its hard to believe but I did read an artical in Rifle Magazine where the Author said 'Although it is rare, some rifles will shoot better beyond 100 yards" It was an article by Boddington on Long Range Shooting. He didn't go beyond that statement. I will go out today and do a little more checking. Thanks for the comebacks.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 AM

my ruger redhawk is like that. It shoots better at 50yd than 25. I had a 7mm rem mag that would do it also with some loads. If you will notice a football thrown is a little wobbly till it stabilizes. I think a bullet can do the same. Just my theory.

Quick Reply: Ruger has me stumped

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.