Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My New .22

Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 AM

Default My New .22

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum... this is my first post, but i've been reading here for a while. I'd like to get your opinions on my new rifle...

I just bought a new Ruger 10/22DSP at Walmart. I will be picking it up within the next few days. My understanding is that it comes w/ a "Scope Base Adapter." Will this be all I need to mount a scope? Is there an inexpensive way to increase performance by buying a separate scope mount? I have never put a scope on a rifle, but my understanding is that scopes do not come w/ the rings and other things neccesary to put them on.

Secondly, what type of scope should I purchase? I am on a somewhat limited budget and have been considering a Bushnell, Simmons, BSA or Tasco. I can spend no more then $50. (can I get a decent .22 scope for that?) What type of magnification should I get... adjustable or fixed (3-9x32 or 4x32)? Or, do I need more magnification then that all together?

Lastly, what type of ammunition would you recommend? I would prefer it to be in bulk and inexpensive since i plan on shooting a lot! Federal? Should I use different ammunition when I go varmint hunting then when I'm target practicing? If so, what type of higher quality ammo do you recommend for hunting? Is it a mistake to practice w/ one type of ammo and hunt w/ another?

Just a few questions from a novice. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My New .22

you can get a simmons, luepold or Bushnell for about $40. There not that great but i think it would work well on a 22 lr. I don't think you would need anything more than a 3x9 on a 22.

I am partial to CCI 22 ammo. It has always worked well for me in every gun even my pistols. Seems very consistant. It's pretty cheap too.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:56 AM

I like CCI ammo too. Do yourself a favor and just plain stay away from the Simmons scopes. A good Bushnell will work, and I'd probably go with a fixed 4 or 6 power w/ 32 mm objective.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like CCI ammo too. Do yourself a favor and just plain stay away from the Simmons scopes. A good Bushnell will work, and I'd probably go with a fixed 4 or 6 power w/ 32 mm objective.
I agree

Many Rigers come with rings.....I'm not sure about the 10-22 but if it does come with bases and rings use them.....you won't find better for a .22 rimfire.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:22 PM
bigcountry

Just going to have go out and buy ya 20 dollars or so of ammo and decide. My 10/22 loved the CCI classics, but can't find them anymore. Hated green tags, and any match ammo of any type. Hated the cheap vipers, and everything remington has to offer. Loves CCI Stingers. You got to decide what is good enough for ya. 1.5" at 50 yards is good enough for me.

If you buy the cheap ammo, you probably can't expect too much in consistency but its fun. I am sure after you compare all the brands and makes, you will decide what suits your needs. What suits mine may not be the same as yours, and probably isn't. I want my 10/22 to be very accurate at 40 yards or less for squirrel. So the stingers give that accuracy.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Can't go wrong with Bushnell.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Tasco and Bushnell are both pretty good, and low cost.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:52 PM

Congratulations, You have just bought the best .22 auto made.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:09 PM

whats wrong with Tasco scopes???
Old 05-31-2004, 05:34 PM

Congratulations, You have just bought the best .22 auto made.

I agree the 10/22 is a great .22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.