Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

357 mag rifle

Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default 357 mag rifle

Anyone on the forum use a 357 mag rifle for deer hunting? I often thought about getting one and trying it on deer. Just looking for feedback. I know there are better choices for hunting deer, but I am really interested in the 357 rifle....

latts
Old 04-19-2004, 09:36 AM

Default RE: 357 mag rifle

Hey latts,

Never used one for hunting, shot a friends at the range once though. Nice handling little rifle (lever action Win.). Marlin just announced the introduction of two new rifles, http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ion/1895RL.htm
they're in .480 Ruger and .475 Limbaugh. Might be a better choice than the .357 Mag. Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .357 Mag, even in a rifle, is not a good choice for deer.

Marlin made a number of .41 Mag rifles lately and I'd think that would be a fine choice...as would the .44 Magnum
Old 04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, let me get this out, there are two common rifles made in .357mag in the U.S., typically found at any given gun shop at any given time: Marlin 1894 and Winchester 1894, both lever actions of which I can tell you a few things:

The Marlin is bombproof, put a slight radius on carrier cam and you've fixed the only problem it would ever have (slight design flaw), takes about 5 minutes all told and only a screwdriver and a file. They're great for reliability (especially after doing the "marlin fix") and quite impressive on accuracy...Not to mention that Marlin has one of the better Customer service departments around...

The Winchester, on the other hand, is awful, I might keep one if it was given to me, but I'll never buy another one...The only thing they've got going for them is top ejection, the rest is worthless. The '94 in .30-30, it's an ok buy, I still prefer the Marlin 336, but Winchester CAN NOT make the 94 function correctly when loaded in a pistol caliber...You might be lucky and find what ONE load/bullet type/COL/Diameter/brass/etc. that your 94 will like, but it'll NEVER like more than a couple loads for great reliability.

That being said, I shoot cowboy action as well as hunting with mine, more rounds get put through my leveractions in a year than most guy's leverguns will swallow in a lifetime, and they're often shot in quick succession and maybe 200rnds in a day before a cleaning patch can find any time to work...something to consider at least, maybe you just hunt yours and you get the same jams with the Win's that I got, maybe 1jam in 20-25rnds fired, not a big thing for a hunter who shoots maybe 20-40rnds a year, but it is to me.

On to the .357mag:

(I've only used .357mag for deer hunting in pistols, good results, I've also extensively used .44mag rifles for deer, not the same thing, but same idea)

There are better cartridges out there for sure, but there's nothing wrong with the .357mag for deer...assuming you put the bullet where it needs to go and you limit your shots properly...it's not a long range deer cartridge, and shouldn't be used as such...I've used a 9mm carbine for deer, one shot and she was down, an all lead slug to the heart will do that at 35yrds, using a .357mag S&W custom, I put a hard cast through the heart and both lungs of a 219# dressed weight 12pter too (ok he only had 11pts, one was broke off), he jumped up and ran about 25-30yrds to his death, it was a 23yrd shot.

Based on what a .44mag rifle and a .357mag pistol can do, I'd be willing to take a 70yrd shot on a standing deer in clean conditions, given I practiced a lot and knew where my bullet was headed.

If you're buying your first deer rifle, or this would be the only one you'd have, don't get it in .357mag, don't get it in a pistol cartridge at all, but if you're backing up another deer rifle, or just looking for a rifle that would change things up, go for it, I've got nearly a dozen deer rifles at home, and only a select few of them are "typical" deer cartridges!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have a marlin1894 in 357 magnum. I have shoot one doe with it. The doe was 80 yds away and broard side the 140 gr hornady passed completely through breaking a rib on the exit side.She only went 20yds before dropping.
This is a handy little rifle but i wouldn't take a shot past 100yds.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Spike

Thanks for your replies so far...I also have other rifles such as 7mm-08, 30-30, .338, and also a 7mm RUM. I am looking for something that I can shoot a lot at the range, and do small game hunting, and maybe a deer hunt now and then. Just my thought now.....

latts
Old 04-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

When fired from a rifle, a 357 has more energy at 100 yds than from the muzzle of a pistol.

And therefore, it's safe to say that you can add about 100 yds to the distance that you feel comfortable shooting a deer with a 357 pistol. If you beleive that a 357 will cleanly kill deer from a pistol at 50 yds, then you can shoot a deer out to 150 yds with a 357 rifle.

Be careful however, after 150 yds, the bullets really begin to drop quickly.

Also, use 158 gr and heavier bullets, and stay away from JHPs. Use JSP or Cast bullets.

Inside of 150 yds, with shots into the heart/lungs, a 357 rifle will put deer down as quickly as many high-power rifles. They will usually run less than 75 yds, with most running only about 30-40, and the big hole it leaves gives good blood trails.

With corbon's 200 gr. hard cast 357 load, there aren't many animals in North America that you cannot cleanly kill inside of 100 yds.