Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any opinions?

Old 04-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any opinions?

I just happened to stop by a local gun shop and they had a couple of Weatherby Stainless Synthetic Vanguards they were trying to "get rid of" so-to-speak. They seemed pretty nice for the $. One was chambered in .257 Weatherby Mag., one in .270 WSM and one in .300 Weatherby Mag. The price ( I think) was $575.00 which seemed pretty good to me. I certainly don't need one but I kinda wanted one (the .257 Weatherby). I'm understanding that they have adjustable triggers and shoot a 1.5 inch group minimum. Anybody have any thoughts / comments / recommendations? Any thoughts on the .257 Weatherby Mag. cartridge? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any opinions?

About all I do know about Weatherby's is that the Factory Weatherby ammunition is very expensive.For that reason alone I wouldn't buy a gun that shoots Weatherby's cartridges. It's not the easiest stuff to find either.If you reload that's one thing. If you depend on Factory loadings I would pass on the idea.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-16-2004, 03:54 PM

Ruger-redhawk has a very good point, bullets for them are high and harder to find.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Wal-Mart sells the Blued Vangard model for about $383 give or take a few dollars but you might want to check out this safety information first before you buy: http://www.weatherby.com/safety/info.html

Their website claims guranteed accuracy of 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards with a list price of $476 but why would this high dollar rifle maker even both dabbling with this price range? They have plenty of customers in line for the other expensive rifles. Sounds fishy to me, get a solid Rem, Savage or Winchester for the same price range and you'll save on the ammo as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Weatherby vanguard is made by Howa and is a much better gun than any Remington will ever be. They are made with great quality and many more and better features than most any rifle in the same price range. You would be very hard pressed to find a better rifle for the same ammount of money.

Weatherby ammo is rather expensive but if that doen't bother you then get it if you wnat it. It is a great rifle.

As far as the recall goes that stops at rifles made before 1993.

Here is a link to another thread about the vanguards you will find informative. http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...y=howa&#555573
Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I do know their ammo is high, but the ballistics on the little .257 W. Mag are very good. Recoil is rather mild also, probably just below that of a .30-06. Interesting tho.

bigbulls- I was under the impression that Howa used to make those rifles for Weatherby but that Weatherby bought out a production facility in Massachusetts (or similar locale) and are now making their own. I did, however, see a marking on a Vanguard barrel in a mag that said made in Japan. Isn't that where Howas are made and then imported and marketed by Legacy Sports? I dunno.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did, however, see a marking on a Vanguard barrel in a mag that said made in Japan. Isn't that where Howas are made and then imported and marketed by Legacy Sports? I dunno.
That is correct. I don't know if Legacy Sports imports the vanguard or if Weatherby imports it directly themselves but Howa does make them.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Hey bugsNbows.

I have heard the same thing about the Weatherby's.
A guy at the Gun store told me the same thing about them being made here in the States again.
He said it would take about a year to see the made in the USA stamp on them though.

I dont know how true that that really is . But I shure hope to see it happen.

Leroy.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The vanguards are made in japan by howa.The mark V rifles are made for weatherby by a contractor in the U.S.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago I owned two .257 Weatherbys...a custom mauser and a MarkV.....I also owned a couple .25-06 and a .257 Roberts.

Today the .257 Weatherbys are gone and I don't miss them at all.....they wasn't in practical use better than the .25-06 and today the .257 Roberts gets the call for my deer hunting. (it's being replaced with a .260 Rem BTW)

For the guy that wants a .257 Weatherby I'd suggest that the .264 Win Mag is equivalent.....and then that the .270 Winchester is as good as well.

IMO the .257 Weatherby is seriously overrated as a long range cartridge. Fast?.....yes...better?...NO!

Quick Reply: Any opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.