Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

I just got a Kimber 1911 Pro-Carry .45acp. It is a might sharp gun. I am considering getting my p[ermit to carry a concealed weapon. Just for my sake, I wanted to know how many of you gun toting fellows have actually found use for it, not neccisarily actually firing it, but also just wielding it for the purpose of self defense.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

I have a self-imposed rule. I won't ever pull my firearm and NOT shoot it.

Now if there's a situation, and there's a little bit of distance and time between me and a bad person, I may brush aside my jacket and put my hand on the butt. If I have to pull it, someone is gonna need some medical attention pretty quick.

Congrats on getting a fine firearm. I have a Kimber Pro Elite .45acp. I love it.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have had my concealed lic. for about 6 years now. I have never had to use my pistol on anyone as of yet. But that doesnt mean that I wont ever have to shoot someone to protect myself.

One thing though!!

NEVER PULL A WEAPON THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE. BECOUSE IT WILL ONLY GET YOU KILLED. CAUSE SOME PEOPLE DONT BLUFF!!!!

JUST MY 2 CENTS
Leroy
Old 04-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

My expierence has been different. I will shoot nobody unless there is no other way Twice in civilian life I pulled a gun. At that time the bad guys left a cloud of dust leaving the scene. One guy fell over some trash cans and broke his ankle. I had to call the Medical people and the cops. I got shot in the arm once but the guy shot and ran. That time I was not armed. The NRA has hundreds of cases on file where just producing a gun has ended a situation. This said, when if I pull a gun I am ready to use it. Killing lives with you a very long time.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:33 PM

I have a self-imposed rule. I won't ever pull my firearm and NOT shoot it.
Not the best plan, IMO. That could lead to drawing your weapon too late to be of any good, or using deadly force when the circumstances changed in the time period after presenting and before firing. My rule is never draw my weapon unless I am PREPARED to use it. Huge difference.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Twice in my life I've used a gun to defend myself.....thank God I never had to fire them. The last time was a total surprise.....I wasn't nervous.....I wasn't scared.....I was totally calm cool and in total control.....I held a double barrel 12 ga 3" pointed at the door and called thru the door to the mad man on the other side...(I'm sure he was on drugs of some kind) who was pounding on the door like a bizerk man.

I told him to get the sheriff and I'd let him in.....that if he broke in I'd kill him.....he went away.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had to use it but I have a loaded 1300 Winchester Defender within close range of my bed....lol. No kids...no wife..only me...so safety isnt as big a concern as it normally would be. That thing is mean looking...lol. Would deter me just to look at it pointing at me...lol.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never had to actually use one and only once did I have one locked and loaded with the intent of using it if needed.

Heard someone trying to enter my house at 1:30 am so I grabbed the shotgun and made my way to the door but the dogs scared the would be intruder off before the gun needed to be used. I didn't sleep at all the rest of the night.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

In the early 70's I had a job that kept me away from home a lot, and since I lived alone the house was often empty. One afternoon, I was working on my car in the attached garage, and I guess the house looked unoccupied. I heard the sound of someone in the house, so I took my licensed .38 from my car and went into the house. I found a stranger on the open stairway headed upstairs. I pointed the gun at him and said "don't move", and at the same time cocked the hammer. I guess the sight of the turnimg cylinder and the cocked hammer unnerved him and he bolted down the stairs and out the open door. Afterwards, I wondered if I would have shot him had I felt threatened. My conclusion: IN A HEARTBEAT.
I gave the description of his vehicle to the police, and they picked him up. But since there was no evidence of his having been in my house, they let him go. I think they spent more time checking my ID and carry permit than they did talking to him.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had to use a gun in self defense in civilian life. I have never pulled one out to show as a deterent. It's not for show ! There have been a couple of times that I was pretty close to hauling it out but thank God those situations were solved by other means. I don't think that a gun is the answer to keeping yourself from getting an *** whipping. Unless the situation is deadly , firearms for self defense are not a resort.

Quick Reply: Hve any of you used a gun in self defense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.