Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Brake / Mag-na-porting

Old 03-20-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Muzzle Brake / Mag-na-porting

I must confess that my firearms knowledge is probably not close to the average hunter. I do have a question on muzzle brakes, mag-na-porting
or other forms of barrel suppression. My questions is, "are they worth the
addition to the magnum calibre rifles?" I have read where they are beneficial for recoil but a detrement to muzzle blast. Your replies will be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Muzzle Brake / Mag-na-porting

It all boils down to how "recoil sensitive" you are. Some people can shoot the .338 Win Mag with no problems whatsoever. Some have difficulty shooting the 30-06 without developing a flinch, which will ruin accuracy.

Muzzle brakes work better than porting does. Muzzle brakes will greatly reduce felt recoil if they are designed correctly. They WILL also increase muzzle blast and hearing protection is essential. In my opinion, your hearing isn't worth it. I'd even recommend some form of protection when hunting if you're using a brake. I speak from experience, as I've lost a good portion of my hearing due to gun fire. (And I've never had a brake).
Old 03-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never fire any firearm equipped with a brake unless you are wearing hearing protection.Even a single shot without hearing protection can cause your ears to ring and can cause permanent hearing loss.We have yearly hearing tests at work and one of the members of our fish and game club suffered hearing loss after firing one shot from his 338win mag without hearing protection.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are wanting to reduce the felt recoil of your rifle then install a mercury recoil reducer in the but stock or the fore arm and forget about the brake and save your hearing.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=16390#16390
Old 03-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I own a Browning Bar with the BOSS system and can tell you it's loud. Course any 300 WSM you shoot is loud. Helps considerably with the recoil and the accuracey. I figured it was just a gimmick until I dialed it in. This rifle is amazing. Also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel that is magna-ported. It helps a lot on recoil. I shoot stout loads and can still manage it with this gun. Can't say that magna-porting causes the blast to increase.

I've lost a good deal of my hearing too. I can remember going prarie dog hunting with my deer rifle (270) and a case of ammunition. No hearing protectors went with me. Also a lifetime of quarterly qualifying on the pistol range for work. Also some buckshot and slug work out of a short 870 every quarter. I wear hearing protectors now, but they weren't widely used in the old days. Now my wife, kids, and co-workers get to hear "What?" a whole bunch. Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

It should go without saying NO FIREARM should be fired without hearing protection being worn.
By this and other threads on muzzle brakes it appears if the gun is ported/braked( it's got to be BAD) hearing protection is needed and non-ported guns are ok to shoot. Some of this is just male machismo in action...ie. you must be a wimp if ya need recoil reduction.....them muzzle braked rifles will make ya deaf...yadda yadda yadda. With proper hearing protection worn, shooting ported barrels are no worse than non ported, it's the muzzle blast that seems to amplify the "noise " factor in my opinion. Even substained firing of a 22 rimfire without hearing protection on damages your hearing.
Forget the super hero ego and wear hearing protection, you are a fool if you dont and also wear some sort of shooting glasses.

RCD, magna-porting of a revolver will greatly reduce muzzle flip, it doesnt really increase the noise, there is enough of that escaping through the barrel/cylinder gap.

huh? whadda say?[] doubleA
Old 03-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a muzzle brake. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:59 AM

Double A is right. You should never fire a gun without hearing protection. But, shooting one with a brake is even worse and hearing protection should be worn even when hunting where most "one and only shots" are fired.

Even substained firing of a 22 rimfire without hearing protection on damages your hearing.
Actually, I had a doctor inform me that shooting .22lr without hearing protection is one of the worst things you can do for your hearing, even worse than shooting standard calibers without any. Partially because you don't notice the damage. And anytime you cause your ears to "ring", you've damaged them beyond repair.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

double A, That is all well and good if you wear that same hearing protection when you are in the woods trying to hear that faint sound of a twig breaking or a leaf russling. At the range we all wear hearing protection to keep our hearing good. But I don't know of a single person that wears muffs into the woods do you? I don't know how many more decibles a brake will raise the sound but I know it is a lot and one shot with a brake can and does damage your hearing to a much greater extent than a shot from a rifle w/o a brake.

A mercury recoil reducer is cheaper and still cuts down on the recoil.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the field one can wear a Walkers' Game Ear. It enhances sound around you, and blocks out high decibel sounds. Good luck.