Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

338 win mag

Old 03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Spike

Default 338 win mag

Does anyone know if a 338 Win Mag Ruger Mark II can be reamed to chamber the 338 Ultra mag or the 340 WBY mag? If so, is there that much difference in those cartridges to make the change worth it? Any knowledge share would be great......

latts
Old 03-14-2004, 05:12 PM

Default RE: 338 win mag

Hi latts,

If I'm not mistaken the .338 Winchester Magnum chambering in the Ruger is a "standard length" action. The .338 Winchester Magnum does not require a true magnum length action. The two other rounds you mentioned will NOT fit in a standard length action. The conversion is NOT possible!

You'd need to start with a "magnum length" action.

Good luck!

Dave
Old 03-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO if you can't do it with a .338 Win Mag, you can't do it with the Weatherby or RUM version as well.

If you truly want more power I'd suggest you look at the time honored .375 H&H magnum.

akbound is correct.....the Weatherby and RUM versions are not only longer, the RUM is a larger diameter as well.....and will require feed rail work and a smaller magazine capacity.......something few serious hunters are not keen about.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it can be done the magazine box has to be changed out ...bolt stop modified.