Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

House on fire

Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default House on fire

OK, Suppose your house caught on fire(God forbid), and you had all your children, insurance papers and photo's out of the house and you had one last chance to run into the house and grab 2 guns, one in each hand. Which guns would you choose?

Mine would be mt T/C Encore and my Ithica 50th anniversary commerative model 1911-A1 (only 2500 made and I got #81)

What would you choose ?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: House on fire

*knock on wood* My grandpa's old 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster, and my .30-06 700 ADL. I can replace my pistols and .22LR, but those two guns are my favorites.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

General rule of thumb, take it from a 2nd gen smoke eater, if you got out of the house with your family and ANY valueables in tact, count your blessings and keep your @$$ outside...there's nothing dumber than running back into a fire for posessions, I've carried more than a couple people out because they went back in for money, or in one guy's case, a goldfish, then got consumed with smoke inhalation...if you're out, stay out, posessions can always be replaced, if you were smart, you had your expensive guns covered on your insurance policy, if you've got no extremely valueable guns, insuring them is a good idea, but less necessary.

If I were on my way out and had the opportunity to grab a gun (my guns would be very quickly accessible on my way out the window, assuming the fire wasn't spread into the bedroom yet-I could likely just stand at the safe and throw all of them out the window to safety), if I were only to grab one or two, it would be my Iver Johnson Champion .410 single shot and my Marlin Model 99M-1 .22lr, very close personal attachment to those two, the guns my father passed down to me, I'd be hard pressed to leave any of several others, but I couldn't replace these two, even if they're not valuable monetarily.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:40 PM

i have a gun safe that is rated for 1300 degrees for 1 hour, so i wouldnt worry about it.

if i didnt have that option, i would get my 870 Wingmaster (20 gauge) my grandfathers 45 colt ruger blackhawk.

for those of you who dont know about insurance on firearms and house fires, most homeowners policies will only cover up to a certain amount usually no more than $2k worth of guns. if you have a good amount of money invested in guns either get a good gun safe or a rider on your policy that will cover all you firearms.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

General rule of thumb, take it from a 2nd gen smoke eater, if you got out of the house with your family and ANY valueables in tact, count your blessings and keep your @$$ outside...there's nothing dumber than running back into a fire for posessions, I've carried more than a couple people out because they went back in for money, or in one guy's case, a goldfish, then got consumed with smoke inhalation...if you're out, stay out, posessions can always be replaced, if you were smart, you had your expensive guns covered on your insurance policy, if you've got no extremely valueable guns, insuring them is a good idea, but less necessary.
Amen. I went ahead and put together a fire escape plan with my wife (I guess I did learn something after all in elementary school). Our bedroom's on the first floor, with the important documents on my dresser, and my gun safe right next to me. Anytime I'm home, I keep it unlocked. You never know when a bad guy or fire will appear.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:59 PM

That's a tough one, but I'll go with two of my favorites. My RZM marked Walther ppk in it's Nazi Party Leader holster and my Remington Rand 1911A1.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay outside and cry for awhile. Within a few days I'd start my list of items lost and start planning on what I'd buy (guns) with the insurance sttlement.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:52 PM

Not a fair question. First you have to set aside the safety issue, I doubt that I'd be running INTO a burning building. Then you have the limitation of one rifle in each hand. I'd scoop them up, cradle them in my arms, and head for the exit. I should be able to handle four or five that way!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go back in and get my wife...well, on second thought...yeah, I'd get her out! [8D]

It'd be easy for me as I only have two guns I really give a crap about, my Ruger M77VT and my American Heroes 9/11/01 Commemmorative (sp?) Glock 21 (#664 of 1000). My wife would grab the pets. Of course this would be on the way out. Once out I wouldn't go back in to save anything less than a human life.

Mike
Old 03-10-2004, 04:01 PM

calnewbie, its not about what would you do or how many guns you could save, i think mlaubner's question is of all of your guns which 2 do you cherish the most and risk your life to preserve

for me my 870 wingmaster is the gun i grew up hunting with and the blackhawk belongs to my grandfather. irreplaceable objects as far as i am concerned.

Quick Reply: House on fire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.