Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 or 280?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 AM

Default 270 or 280?

I have a brand new Browning Stainless Stalker in 280, not made anymore, and I have a Remington 700 stainless synthetic in 270 with about 50 rounds through it, which one should I keep?

I'm going back to Kansas this year and I take two rifles to use, one for hunting spots that offer 150 yard or less shots and I'll take my Remington 700 in 300 Ultra Mag, killed my 160 class buck with it last year, for the open range stuff because of the heavier bullet weight to help with the high wind in Kansas.

I don't want to get offered a shot and be under powered in Kansas, due to the wind, range or the size of the deer. I'm also a shoulder shooter for deer, I'd rather take out their wheels and heart, which I have seen to be a hot topic for debate, but I am not trying to start a flame war. I know I'm anal about rifle selection, but I haven't lost a deer and I don't want to start.

I need to sell one or the other to finance a new varmint rifle.

I haven't done anything with the Browning, but put it in my safe, carry it down to my dealer for him to sell and list it on the internet.

The Remington shoots well, has very low recoil, it packs nice and the ammo choices are great.

Does the 280 have any real world adavantages over the 270? Ammo availability, performance or KO power?

I am planning to elk hunt one of these days, when my schedule permits, and may even have to try Caribou or some Canadian deer hunting.

I think I can sell the Remington quicker than the Browning, I've had the Browning for sale since early January and have had no bites at all, I know it isn't the best time of year.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:05 AM

Default RE: 270 or 280?

The only real difference you will find is 7/100 of an inch. Practically you will not find any difference. They are basically the same. You will get alot of opinions here and some will tell you and I believe it to be true, that ballistically you can find some difference, but real world practically speaking, they are the same. Good Luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Take each rifle to the range. Shoot each of them. Whichever rifle you feel fits you better and has acceptable accuracy is the one to keep. I prefer the 280 over the 270 but you are really splitting hairs to say that one is better than the other. Shooting the same weight bullet velocity, energy, & trajectory are almost identical all the way out to 500 yards. So, there really is not a difference. A rifle that fits you well is always the best to have. You will shoot it more accurately than one that you have to adjust your hold to accomodate to the rifle.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 AM

Like them both?

Put them both up for sale...first one sold makes your decision for you.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:46 AM

dodger02 has the right idea. I have a 270 Model 70 and 280 A bolt. I prefer the 280 mainly because I like the Browning better than the Winchester. Just personal preference.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-09-2004, 01:44 PM

Great replies.

I have confidence in the Remington, I nailed a 180lb doe with it at about 125 yards this last season in Kansas. So I'll guess I'll keep it and there are many more options for parts, gunsmiths, etc. if I ever decide to change anything.

I don't want to fire the Browning because it is new and never been fired and it would hurt the sale value.

I'm not attached to the Browning, but I've always heard how accurate their 280's were and I'm unsure if I want to sell it, but I need the cash for my varmint rifle.

I've got a 300 RUM and that fills the need for my large gun.

I don't have much use for a 45-70, it wouldn't offer me any advantages in the places I hunt, when the cover gets that heavy I break out my Benelli SBE or Winchester SX2.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Real world, not much difference in the rounds. You're going to have to split hairs (.007 of an inch to be exact) to find a difference. It sound like you've decided on the 270, but if the 280 is NIB PM me I might have a buyer for it. I'm a big 280 fan, and have a few buddies that are as well and some are always looking for a gun. On another subject either of these calibers are plenty for long range whitetail (I can personally attest that a 280 is a hammer on shoulder shots at 430 yards), so you might want to think about just bringing the 270 as it should be plenty capable for the Kansas hunt.

Gordon
Old 03-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

i would keep whichever you like and feels best, but i prefer brownings over remingtons. this doean't mean i dont like remington, i have an 11-87 and it is my favorite auto loader i have ever shot, but i just like browning better. if you still can't make up your mind... do what was mentioned above and sell them both and keep the one that doesn't sell.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would keep the .280 Rem. because you have more of a choice in bullets, and it makes a slightly bigger hole, and slightly more energy. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.