Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Help with Groups. TOO BIG!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help with Groups. TOO BIG!!!

If your handloading for this gun you'll need to work up a load that your gun likes. The most accurate is rarely the fastest. take care of the barrel, two o-rings is hardly a bankbuster and even though your scope is proven I would also check the rings and bases. You didn't say if you were shooting offhand, or off bags from a bench etc,.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:48 PM

ok, I floated the barrel. I only had and could find one o ring laying around and it was small, so I took an old credit card and cut it up and drilled holes in the center of it to fit over the barrel stud. IN all I used the small o ring, and two peices of card put together to get the barrel floated. I can now take two sheets of paper and run them between the barrel and the forend up to the barrel stud. Does this sound like a good fix? Will the peices of old credit card(plastic) be ok for this float job??? I must say it did a good job free floating the barrel as long as the plastic does not give and compress over time, this barrel should stay floated. What do you all think? Is there a such thing as to floated?? I would guess that the two pieces of card and o ring together are about 1/16" maybe 3/32" . Thanks again.

For a rest I was using sand bags. The cross hairs seemed steady as a rock on my aim.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

It sounds like that should work. You have the right idea so just keep expirmenting. Be sure the rest is close to the reciever and the same place every time. It still might take some rounds fired through it to reach it full potential.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

For lots more info on NEF/H&R rifles try www.graybeardoutdoors.com there is a forum just for these rifles. Most of the guys from H&R talk are over there.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

First of all, are you using "proven" loads that were proven it that gun? Every gun likes a little different load. Secondly, check all the settings on your reload equipt. Sometimes the bullet seater will move up or down if it is loose.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:07 PM

First off I would start with factory loads, then I would use a sandbag under the hinge and one under the butt of the rifle, and fire a group (remember to take your time, barrell heating can cause stringing too). You really have to remember to do everything the same so that the sandbags are in the same place, your hands are in the same place on the gun, rt hand on grip and left holding side of sandbag under butt of rifle. Like JamesB said, squeeze and hold the trigger. I'd check to be sure that the scope mountings are tight. If that doesn't work it might not be a bad idea to try a different scope and just see, you never know. Make sure the gun is going to shoot before you take the time to test handloads, you can't figure out which groups the best if nothing groups.

Then with the handloads start at the listed start charge and work up. What works in one gun may or may not work in another.

Sounds like there can be a lot of tinkering with these NEF/H&R's. I'm actually looking at one now..Nice to know some of the quirks before I get to this point....
Old 03-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jamesb's advice sound very reasonable. If I were you I would try to follow his suggestions. I love my NEF .223 It shoots very very good. Of course it isn't the prettiest gun in the safe but who cares. I have to keep James's info on file in case I get another NEF and it doesn't shoot.
Another tid bit for all you guys. - There is a product on the market called JB Compound which is excellent for "breaking in" a new rifle and for refurbishing an older barrel. It is a slightly abrasive barley paste that removes the tiny burrs in the rifling produced during the manufacture. It also cleans the stubborn build up from the rifling where the grooves and lands meet that accumulate over the years in older barrels that you can't see. You use this product sparingly. If you shoot alot, about once or twice a year is enough.
I had a 270 that shot like a house on fire when it was new. After 15 yrs or so, the groups started to open up. I thought I had shot it out but took it home one day after a session on the range. Ran some JB through it, cleaned it out and now it shoots great again.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would suggest trying some different handloads. Every gun has it's favorite load it will shoot the best. Its not alway going to be a floating problem or a trigger. Between the two I would opt for a lighter trigger before going and floating a barrel. Especially a single shot rifle.

You wanted a specific load when you had the rifle in mind. You may have to change that. One thing you can try is buying a box of ammo in the 139gr. and see how the rifle likes those compared to the handloads you are producing. Second thing I would do if none of the 139gr loads work is try a different weight of bullet. And just maybe if none of it works you bought a rifle made on friday afternoon about beer time.