Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glock 45 GAP

Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 AM
bigcountry

Default Glock 45 GAP

What do you guys think about this new round? I can't see it flying. 45ACP shooters are usually hardcore traditionalist. Maybe cause I got big hands, but I don't have any trouble shooting any 45ACP. I am just surprised they came out with this round and a pistol around it.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Glock 45 GAP

The industry seems to have thier mind set on producing pistold the size of the 9MM. Maybe there or more small handed shooters than big ones. I would be suprised to see this caliber catch on as its below the level of the 45 Auto. It may fly with Glock fans but I don't think it will become a common caliber. But I have been wrong before so I quess time will tell. I won't be buying one.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:04 AM
bigcountry

Maybe your right. But most 1911's I got, seem much easier to wrap your hands around than say my double stacked 15 round 92FS.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't see the need for it. If someone wants a 9mm sized pistol chambered in a better round then get one chambered in the .40s&w. The .40s&w is very popular and ammo can be had any where ammo is sold in a variety of bullet styles and bullet weights. I've been a big .45acp fan for many years and will always be, but I've never been a fan of lighter bullets in a .45 or short barreled .45's. I feel that lighter bullets and shorter barrels take away from the effectiveness of the .45 as we know it, just my opinion. This is glocks attempt to jump on the latest band wagon of firearms manufactures trying to push (some) uneeded cartridges with their name on them.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
bigcountry

I tend to agree. I got into this 357sig craze a few years ago. It is a very difficult round to load for with the short neck. the 357 sig is still around but bearly. Good for me, I bought 1000 pieces of used brass for the future. But also got a 40S&W barrel for my glock. Since then I have touched the 357sig barrel.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard about this Glock round sometime back. I don't think it will go anywhere.With all the 45ACP's around and diehard 45 shooters,I don't think the 45GAP stands a chance.Just like the 10mm. It hasn't gone anywhere to speak of.I'll stick with the time tried and trusted 45ACP.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it'll catch on. Once people see that the cartridges numbers aren't all they're cracked up to be and that the .45GAP can't compete with the 45ACP, the cartridge will quietly disappear. The GAP is on par with the .40S&W, which is already very popular as a compromise caliber.

I won't buy one. I like owning guns that I can find ammo for in 10 years. I just don't thing that the 45GAP has the staying power to be worthwhile investment.

Mike
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems kind of rediculous to produce a neutered .45 auto for a double stack magazine, when you can get the full power version in a single stack design (even double stack in para's) in the best pistol design to date.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems kind of rediculous to produce a neutered .45 auto for a double stack magazine, when you can get the full power version in a single stack design (even double stack in para's) in the best pistol design to date.
Especially since the 45GAP is just as wide as the 45ACP, so the thickness of a doublestack mag for both would be the same. The only difference is in the OAL is the two cartridges, with the GAP being short enough to fit lengthwise in a .40S&W grip frame. But the difference is pretty small.

Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 05:08 PM

There are so many good rounds out there it doesn't seem like we really need more. If you don't like the .45acp, then there is the .40s&w, or 10mm auto, or 9mm, or .357 or .38spl and the list goes on.

I can just see people in 10 years from now cutting down .45acp cases to get .45gap, if they would even work, when anyone can go to the local store and buy thousands of rounds of .45acp.

Of course I am a .45acp fan, and I think that we are all rabid fans or possibly traditionalists:
We don't want it changed, it works just fine the way it is, thank you very much.