Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What make, model & caliber would you buy?

Old 03-01-2004, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What make, model & caliber would you buy?

I'd be down sizing myself! My next gun would be a Winchester M70 Super Shadow, in .260 if they make it in that caliber, if not I'd take a 25-06, or .243!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, I can't believe I had 10-people reply to this post already.

The main thing I am looking for is a light rifle to carry. I have all of my bases covered for antelope, deer, elk & black bear. This rifle would mainly be used for Whitetail & Mule Deer. I would also use it for Big Horn Sheep & Mountain Goat, when I draw a tag.
I am thinking real hard about a Weatherby Ultra Lite in 338-06 or 280-A.I.? What does everyone think about the Weatherby ultra lite rifles? I have only owned one Weatherby before, it was a Accumark 257-Weatherby mag. That Accumark was the worst shooting rifle I have ever owned. That makes me skiddish about buying another Weatherby?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

take a good hard look at the Winchester M-70 featherweight in any caliber you like.......it's a very fine and easy to carry rifle.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington classic deluxe in 243 or Winchester model 70 in 243 if I found one with a 24'' tube.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:52 PM

I think JamesB has the right idea. Them rem model 7 is carbine size and is a great rifle. The 300 wsm could be one of the best cartridges to come out of this new cartridge craze.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably a Ruger 77 Mk II Featherweight in 7mm-08Rem.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
DM

I'm lucky enough not to have to ask my "better half" for permission to buy a new firearm, it's the "banker" that usually stops me!!! :&gt

Anyway, i'd buy one "something like" the one in the picture, and YES it's an off the shelf gun!!! Without all the engraveing they are more affordable than you think! I've also seen some very good used models!!

I've taken a LOT of big game, small game, and about everything else with my drilling!!! I always have the right gun for what ever gives me a shot, from moose, to bear to rabbits and grouse!!

A drilling pretty much does it all!!

Drilling Man

Old 03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I'd buy a Marlin 1895GS, stainless guide gun in .45-70 (+P or "Marlin" capable if you reload). Tips in at 7# empty (catalog, mine's 6# 9oz. empty without the glass), which isn't incredibly light, but the ease of handle that the 37" overall length gives more than makes up for the extra pound over other "lightweights"...I'd much rather carry a heavier gun that's easy to manuover than a light rifle that gets caught on brush/limbs, etc. . The levergun also lends itself to easier carriage than a bolt gun, wrap your hand around a marlin levergun's action sometime and you'll understand.

If you're set on a bolt gun, I'd buy a WSM in a compact, I don't know who offers one, but the WSM's are an awesome combination with compacts...I'd either go .300WSM or 7mmWSM.

I don't feel that most lightweights, like I said, really offer that much advantage over standards, they weigh a little less, but they're really no easier to handle (only usually 2" shorter and 4-8oz lighter, occasionally a full pound), compacts offer usually a pound at least lighter and 5-6" shorter).
Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

WolfKiller,
I asked my self this same question last year,except I wanted a light cary rifle for elk and moose,mid to long range 400 yds.And I went with the .300 WSM in the model 70 Super shadow,this a great pack all day rifle just under 7 lbs w/scope.I realy do like this little gun.I have several guns for just elk and what ever,I dearly love my .300 RUM don't get me wrong.If I was looking into get just a strictly deer/sheep rifle I would consider the same gun in .270 WSM.If I had my choice I think I would like Browning BLR in 7mm-08 Rem,these little guns are wonders of the world and fast handling.But I already have my sheep gun for my Big Horn tag I will draw this year(I hope).It's a Ruger No1 25-06 rem loaded with 100 gr Barnes Triple-Shoks.
Good luck trying to pick one,it almost nerve racking
BBJ
Old 03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer I would like something like a Weatherby Ultra Light 338-06.....

Me too! .338/'06, that is! This should be very close to the ultimate North American game cartridge.

Quick Reply: What make, model & caliber would you buy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.