Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ghost ring sights, how accurate?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Ghost ring sights, how accurate?

Hi Nomercy,

It's important that those of us that know the difference between standard "peep" sights and "ghost ring" sights don't confuse someone that may not understand the difference between them......which is largely only the size of the rear aperture. And as you pointed out peep sights are very good hunting rifle sights when used in the right applications. I personally wouldn't use "ghost rings" for any normal hunting rifle. Though I very might consider them on a really heavy caliber stopping rifle! (Quite a number of African professionals are doing exactly that!) But those are not .35 Whelens either.

On the other side of the coin you wouldn't want someone to think that an extremely "small apertured target peep" should be mounted on a normal hunting rifle either. Normally the apertures on most of Williams peeps are just about right for normal hunting application. Though with the threaded sight the aperture itself can be changed and adjusted. Which is the best system for normal hunting ranges!

I'm not contradicting what you said.......only pointing those things out for the benefit of some that may not know!

Dave
Old 02-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quilly. Tell me a little about the sight on your 760. I just bought a new 7600 and was thinking about a peep sight as a back-up. Does it just screw on where the factory iron sight go or do you have to get it dilled and tapped for it. Where did you get it? Do you recall the part no. of the sight?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi James,

I had a Williams aperture sight on the back of a 7600 chambered for .35 Whelen. It mounted in the predrilled holes intended for the rear scope mount. It was adjustable....but not target precision adjustable. But it worked fine for hunting use. It was also threaded which allowed you to adjust the size of the aperture, or as I did.....use a twilight peep!

The nicest thing of all....it wasn't terribly expensive and you should be able to find it at their web sight!

Hope that helps!

Dave
Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM

Hi again James B,

Double check the customer service number (toll free). But I believe the same model rear peep from Williams that fits the 7600 is the one that fits the 7400. (But call to insure......do NOT take my word on this....I haven't been able to verify.)

Here is a site that carries a reasonable selection:

http://www.shootnhunt.com/gun_sights.htm

Not sure if that helps....let me know!

Dave
Old 02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you kind sir. That looks like the one. I will however call them for the confomation. The price is pretty good as well. It would be nice to have one on there in case of a scope mishap. Also when we hunt from Tree stands in Canada the peep sight would be ideal. Most shots there are about 25 yards. Last time I was up there a big old moose walked right under my stand. NO MOOSE TAG. One of my quides said when they were young the used to see the moose swimming across some of the small bays, He said they used to run up beside them with the boat and climb on thier back. He also added that you better get off before they got thier feet on solid ground unless you wanted one hell of a ride.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:45 AM

Ghost rings were never meant for 200 yard accuracy, but maybe 50 yard quick target accusition.
....tell that to the boys that shoot highpower matches out to 1000 yards with iron sights! The M1, the M14, and the M16 ALL use ghost ring type sights for shooting. They are the most accurate sights there is.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fellas, if you haven't met him, this is Blain, he knows less about guns than just enough to get into trouble saying stupid things like his above post....men who shoot long ranges with "hole sights", such as famous black powder rifle shooters, ARE NOT using ghost ring sights, they're using peep sights, most often mounted on a receiver or tang mounted folding ladder sight, with globe front sights (not a ghost hood sight)...get your story straight before running your mouth.

AK, thanks for clarifiying on my earlier post, I don't often think about people not knowing the difference in the two, I guess I always figure if they don't know what I'm talking about, they can check them out online to find the difference.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:30 PM

james..

the wilkiams peep sight for the rem 7600 also fits the rem 7400. same setup. i got 2" groups at 150yds using those sights on my old rem 7600 chambered in 280rem.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well said nomercy. I don't think I could have said it any better myself. I have never used a ghost ring sight. I do however use the Williams peep sight. In the NE and NC parts of PA where I do most of my hunting and shots tend to be less than 75 yds. I opted to take the scope off my 1895 Marlin guide gun 45-70 and repalce it with the Williams. I've taken two buck and a nice black bear with this outfit. And an added bonus, the rifle weight was cut down.. And, if the peep gets knocked out of kilter for one reason or another, I can just unscrew the aperature and flip up the buckhorn rear sight and I'm back in business.
One thing you forgot to mention is the natural tendency for your eye to center the itself in the peep (or vice versa) which makes the peep so accurate. It will do the same with the ghost ring but accuracy will not be as gooddue to the larger dia. of the hole.