Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 30AS. Birch stock....so what?

Old 02-21-2004, 08:03 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Marlin 30AS. Birch stock....so what?

I picked up a Marlin 30AS from an internet site. I keep reading that it's basicly the same gun as the 336 but with Birch instead of Walnut. Please be gentle with me. What's the difference. Is it just cosmetic? or is Walnut more versatile than Birch?

David
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 30AS. Birch stock....so what?

Walnut is preffered b/c it has a prettier configuration (usually) and can be a bit harder. Birch is very servicable. Don't sweat it, especially if you plan on knocking the gun around in th woods. The birch will hold up ok, andwhen you get it pretty well dinged up, you can go ahead and refinish it....
Old 02-21-2004, 08:39 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Cool. Yeah it's definately going to get some field time. After I find out what it will do on paper, I plan to take it out and make a kill or two with it this coming year. Then I will place it in the hands of my oldest boy in the next few years when he starts. I have my '06 and love it, but there's something really cool about that lever action that I have always liked. I have another boy and an older girl, so I will be keeping my eyes open for more deals to pass down. Gotta love having a justifiable reason for buying guns.

David
Old 02-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Birch is lighter in color and can have alot less pretty grain than walnut. All other differences are academic.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Husquvarna has had birch stocks for years in their generic firearms. I've always considered the Husky name to be one of the top in the firearms industry so if its good enough for them, its OK Fine with me as well.
As for the differences, birch is much lighter in weight, finer grained than walnut and of course, lighter in color. As long as the grain is straight w/o knots, the birch will hold up fine.