Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Darn IT!!!!

Old 02-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Darn IT!!!!

I sure hope to. thanks!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

760's are definately great rifles. I have one in the locker that I've never hunted with, just ran a hundred rounds or so through it. She's a sweet ought 6. Never hunted with it cause I live in IL and deer are shotgun only (no rifles) and I got other sweet medicine for 'yotes.

Anyhow, I bought it from a friends father. We were over in his garage working on his monster truck one day and his Dad (who knew I was a "gun guy") asks if I would be intrested in a rifle. At the time he owned a restraunt, tortiaria, and three houses in a row in Little Village (Chicago). He was worried one of the kids would get ahold of it or some gang bangers might steal it and he wanted to do the right thing and get it out of there. Well he brings it out and it's a 760, bought in the 70's. $100 he says. See ya tommorow I say. He says he has a .45 pistol around somewhere, too, if I'm intrested. Yes, I'm intrested. He says bring another $100 for it, too if he can find it by tommorow. The next day, I went by (free lunch anytime I stop in at a fabulous mexican restraunt-just tip the waitress. BIG tip everytime!) to pick the guns up. Sorry, you'll have to supply your own tissues........

The 760 scoped with 4X and in a nice leather case. In the case is a box of shells with 5 spent cases and a receipt for the gun, case, scope and mount from Midwest Sporting Goods which is a half mile from my shop. Gun was $400 some dollars back then. He gives me the original box with a cleaning kit, too. Said he bought the rifle and pistol when he was younger and had some buddies who were starting to shoot. The rifle had only been shot 5 times back then, cleaned and he hadn't touched it since.

The pistol was Colt 1911, in a box, with two magazines, and two big boxes of loose ammo. He said he only shot a few magazines through it back in the late 60's.

Two hundred bucks - two good guns. Thank you Mr. Sanchez. He always was a great guy, a great father. He still is.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 02-24-2004, 08:15 PM

I hate when those guns won't let you leave. I'm another big fan of the 760, I had one in 300 Savage. It was my first deer gun that wasn't a loaner or a sporterized military gun. Growing up in New England I read alot about the Benoits of Vermont who all carried 760. I sold it when I went elk hunting out west and needed more power, I wish I had that gun back.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats a shame that you had to buy that new rifle. I don't buy them anymore. They just learned how to breed in my safe. I proved it to my wife.
Its like this, I put my 12 ga O/U and 12 ga SxS too close to each other in the safe and wouldn't you know it, before long, I opened the safe and there was the cutest little 20 ga O/U you ever saw nesteled in between them. Then I found out that apparently my Contender and S&W 29 had an affair as there are now twin SS Blackhawks in there too.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn Bronco. Thats one I never thought of. If nobody hears from me again, IT didn't work
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 PM

Fortunatly my wife is fairly new still and has never looked in my safe. She doesn't have a clue if its new or was there before she moved in.
Now how long that will last I don't know.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just a cryin shame. The spririt is willing but the flesh is weak.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can have a buddy bring a new gun home for you. He just says I can't get this thing to work can you take a look at it? Say sure just set it in the corner over there until I have time. You can also take the gun apart and put it in a bucket and bring it home. Tell the wife that some idiot at work took his gun apart and can't get it back together. If she wonders why it takes her longer to dust the gun rack than it used to, just say " I didn't want to mention it dear but you are just not as fast you used to be." I used to come home and tell the wife that I put this new gun on layawy. If she didn't raise to much hell, I would go back the next day and do it. If she did raise hell I would say 'Oh I was just kidding you, You know I wouldn't do that".
Old 02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can have a buddy bring a new gun home for you. He just says I can't get this thing to work can you take a look at it? Say sure just set it in the corner over there until I have time. You can also take the gun apart and put it in a bucket and bring it home. Tell the wife that some idiot at work took his gun apart and can't get it back together. If she wonders why it takes her longer to dust the gun rack than it used to, just say " I didn't want to mention it dear but you are just not as fast you used to be." I used to come home and tell the wife that I put this new gun on layawy. If she didn't raise to much hell, I would go back the next day and do it. If she did raise hell I would say 'Oh I was just kidding you, You know I wouldn't do that".

JamesB you have a couple of great ideas ..wish I had used them before..I just use "It was a great deal" excuse but the Wife is on to that and just rolls her eyes and shakes her head anymore.