Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 300 win mag (good or bad?)

Old 02-19-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Savage 300 win mag (good or bad?)

I'm looking to buy a 300 win mag and every time I go into Savage's website and read what they do to their guns I'm impressed. But I've never heard too much good about Savage's. I've never heard they are a "bad" gun, just that they lack the stature of a Remington or alike. They list the stainless model 116FSS (24" barrel) at $536.00 it looks like a lot of gun for the money. I'm torn between spending $200.00 more for a Remington 700 CDL with the 26" barrel. But it's not stainless (lists for $736.00). Or the Remington BDL in stailess (24" barrel and lists for $761.00) I have plenty of time to buy the gun so I want to make the right choice. I won't use the gun but probably a few times in my life for hunting, so I'm not sure what to do. If there is a major difference between the two, I'll buy the Remington. Thanks for any help.........John
Old 02-19-2004, 05:12 AM

Default RE: Savage 300 win mag (good or bad?)

Despite what I've read on the net, I've never found the Savage rifles to be any more accurate on average than Remington, Winchester, etc. I've owned a fair number of Savage rifles through the years and always found them to get the job done though. They aren't as refined in the looks department and they don't have the triggers of most other rifles, but they are fine rifles for the money. Either rifle would work for you. It just depends on which you prefer and what your budget is. If you'll only use the gun few times and the money is an issue, I'd go with the Savage.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you get one with the Accu-trigger you will love it. All the Savage hunting rifles will have the Accu-trigger this year. I would hold out until you find one. Otherwise you are sure going to have to do something with the trigger. Other than that they are a fine gun. I had one in 300 Mag. It did kick pretty bad. I had a Remington 700 Classic in 300 Mag that was a lot less painful to shoot. I quess it fit me better or something.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

I looked at savage rifles recently and i would buy one for the price. I don't think there is that much of a difference if you are going to be shooting it only a few times a year. Even if you weren't i don't think there is that much difference. Both rifles are similar in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:50 AM

Hi Pace Maker,

Savage makes a good product for the money. The rifles tend to be sturdy, accurate, and intended for using. If you don't get wrapped up in a name.....there is nothing wrong with them. You could always spend less....buy the Savage.....and put the difference towards a really good scope!?!

Good luck with your decision!

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Buy the Savage and put the money you saved towards a quality scope. Make sure you buy the model with the accutrigger. A good trigger is an absolute must if you want an accurate rifle. Savage's are known to be accurate out of the box with no modifications. Most of the Remington's I own had to be bedded and have the barrel free floated to obtain there best accuracy. I will be picking up a new Savage after i get my tax return in 300 WSM. When you buy a rifle post your results.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 PM

I bought the win model 70 shadow I think it's called. It is their no frills cheap stock model. I love it. Has adjustable trigger and with a good scope and the right reloads I have it shooting under and inch at 100yds. I even have a 130gr load that shoots quite well. I call it my vamint loads on steroids. Wallmart sold it on sale 3 yrs ago for under $300 with a throw away scope.

The savage is ok and if you are only going to use it a couple of times get the least expensive. If you get the bug and start hitting the shooting range you wish you had the adjustable trigger, for sure.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with the Savage now. I appreciate all the info. I'll take every one's advice too and put a good scope on it. I planned on putting the new Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 on which ever gun I bought. Thanks again.........John