Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Barrel for 870 Express L-H

Old 02-06-2004, 09:07 PM

Default RE: Slug Barrel for 870 Express L-H

I put a Hastings rifled bbl on my lefty 870 Express this year. Topped it with a Bushnell Red Dot and I have a nice deer/bear killer to 100 yds. Got the bbl from TJ General Store on the web.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:44 AM

Are you planning to strictly use this shotgun for slug hunting, or did you also want to have a smoothbore barrel for wingshooting? Although a little more expensive, the Browning BPS may be a better choice for you. (http://www.browning.com/products/cat...asp?value=011B) I also shoot left-handed, and although I already own a couple 870's, I was considering picking up a BPS myself. It's not a true southpaw action, but the top-tang safety and bottom-ejection works great no matter how you shoot. The Deer Hunter model is already equipped for slug hunting, but is one of the more pricey models. Since the action is ambidextrous however, you could purchase a separate rifled barrel for a cheaper model, and be able to use it for pretty much anything you want to shoot at. Good luck, you can't go wrong with the Browning or Remington.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:54 PM

The end of this story goes like this. After seeing the hoops one must jump through, the limited options, and increased cost, I have decided that the switch to left is not for me. I have shot lefty with right handed guns all my life, and have done just fine. I will continue to do so. I thought the 870 Express with the addition of a slug barrel would be a good set-up that would be versatile and not cost a fortune to switch hit with. Thanks to everyone for your help and information. Peace.