Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug vs. buckshot

Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM
DM

Default RE: slug vs. buckshot

As has already been said, rifled shot gun bbls are NOT for shot, everyone has already pointed out the reason why.

What i want to say here is, my uncle lived to near 90 and shot deer (as in plurl) every year well into his 70's. In all those years and deer, he probably didn't shoot 10 deer with slugs or a rifle!!! He used a 12 ga shotgun and buckshot!!!! I know for a FACT he shot more than 70 deer with buck shot, and i'll bet you in ALL OF THOSE YEARS he "didn't loose" any more deer than any of the guys "those same years" that were useing rifles or slugs!!!! He was a "meat" hunter, and just never learned to shoot a rifle well. He always told me that ANY deer, with any decent shot was DEAD inside 60 yards, and under IDEAL conditions he could get them at 80 yards. Those days, there wasn't the hunting pressure there is today, so if you had to track one a bit, you just did it!!!

Like was posted above, you had to TRY your gun, and MAKE SURE it will pattern at extended ranges!!! I grew up in a family of hunters liveing way out in the country, hunting for food, and we all learned these things at a very young age!

Personally, in a long gun, i prefer a rifle, shot gun with slugs, and then buckshot, in that order! But, if you know what your doing, buckshot WILL get the job done!!!

BTW, my father killed a lot of deer with buck shot too!!

Drilling Man
Old 01-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I've never used buckshot for deer...the places I've hunted it was outlawed. But under the right conditions...and where it were permitted...I would not hesitate to do so.

One...I'd make sure I patterned my barrel/choke combinations to insure I had the most effective combination possible. And I'd probably use either open rifle type sights....or a peep sight...and "zero" for center of pattern. For deer, I'd probably stick to the larger sizes. I'd certainly try 000, 00, and maybe even as small as # 1's to see how they shot. I'd pick the load, barrel, choke, combination that I believed gave me the best chance for success. I'd probably go to the trouble to "penetration test" in wet phone books...for comparison...and some idea of what to expect. (And to be more useful...I'd probably shoot a Foster slug into the same median...for comparison sake. I know how they perform on deer.) Depending upon pattern size...and penetration tests...I'd "preset" a limit to how far I'd shoot. And that would be it.

That is fairly much the process I'd use for shotgunning turkey, bowhunting big game, slug hunting, pistol, muzzle loader, or centerfire rifle hunting. In other words....I'd approach it exactly the same way I approach any of my hunting, analytically. And I believe....responsibily!

Under the above stated circumstances....I'd use....and trust buckshot to work. I honestly believe that as in most other areas of our sport....it's not the implement that doesn't get the job done.....it's the misuse of the implement! And all you have to do is look around...and you unfortunately see a lot of that in all aspects of our sport!

Dave
Old 01-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Briman,

No I am not "Blain". If you recall I had a long runing heated string with him on the merits of the different sizes of buckshot and the killing potential of each. I have been 02BHNTN for 5 years. It only says that i have 67 posts but that is not the whole story. I shifted jobs and lost out for a while and had to re register.

Pro-line, My eyes actually are brown and I can routinely harvest deer beyound 50 yards with my beaded 28"vent rib Mossberg 500 and my 21" beaded vent rib 870.
Personally, I think buckshot is used promarily by those that consistently fling lead at running deer. This pisses me off beyond belief. A 10pt buck is not a cottontail rabbit, and can't be brought down by a couple pellets in the rump.
That is a nice opinion and you are entitled to yours.

To say that the beads cover up the whole deer at 60 yards is an interesting view. The beads on my two shotguns don't cover up the entire deer, and they are the beads that came with them. These arguments could go on for ever. I will give you on point, that slugs give you a much greater range. That's about it. My shotguns can kill them as dead as you slu gun just not as far. I limit myself to about 70 yards because I know that mine can kill them at that distace, and I have 5 dead deer from this year to prove it, and countless from the years past. I will not shoot at runnig deer at that distance because there is to great a margin for wounding and that is unethical in my opinion. Under 50 yards is another thing. I have th utmost confidence in my weapons and my shooting ability to know whnen to take tha=e shot and when to admire the deer running through the woods. To lump me in with the other slob hunters out there is an insult that I DO take personally. You don't know me and you have no idea of my abilities and my
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 PM

hey,

thank you all for your opinions.......I didn't expect that many......but thanks.
and for you that have a argument between slug and shotgun:

Stick to what you like....don't worry what another person may say about your beliefs.\

Peace
Old 01-15-2004, 07:28 PM

OOOOOOPS!

I meant slug and buckshot, not shotgun [][]LOL!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line If somebody says they can shoot buckshot out of a bead-sighted shotgun and hit a kill zone past 50yds...they're eyes are brown, because they're full of it.

A-Men! I have witnessed deer well-hit, through lungs and hearts both, that travelled as far as 1.5 MILES after being shot, and were ONLY found because HOUNDS were being used to run them (LEGAL in parts of VA!!). Buckshot has left more deer in the woods to die unclaimed than any other kind of load, with slugs next in line. IMO, buckshot should be illegal for deer hunting everywhere, as it is now in MOST STATES!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:05 PM

now heres a guy with brown eyes {bs}, you've never seen a deer run a mile a half that was shot in lungs and heart with any thing.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's your message!![&:]

It happened at Camp (now Fort) Pickett VA. in 1973, and there were at least five witnesses, including the two installation guides who were handling the dogs, and who found the buck and took us to him! He was dead in a swamp over 1.5 miles from where he'd been shot. Little varmint too, couldn't have weighed more than 90 pounds dressed. Naturally, there was no blood trail at all.

Now, I'll admit he may not have RUN the whole distance, but he did cover the 1.5 miles somehow. There were three 00 buckshot in his chest cavity, two in the lungs and one that passed through his heart. Now, you can believe it or not, who cares?? [>:] I suspect I've seen a whole lot more things killed, including game and people, than you have in the past 50 years!! [:-]
Old 01-18-2004, 07:43 AM

If I had a choice I would use a shotgun with slug or buckshot. I don't like hunting deer out that are 100+ yards. I like to keep them in the 20 yard range. I think it is more of a challenge and you get a better reward. As a matter of fact, I bought a bow and am going to use that.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:54 AM

well, in my case, I'll stick with slug becasue I have rifle sights and rifle barrel.
I did shoot some bird-shots and it SUCKED! 5 yards and the pellets wouln't hit!
I shot 60 shots that day, from 20 yards or less, and I only wounded one. Those are some scary numbers. I havn't shot slugs yet but I can't wait.

Hope it won't be as disapointing......it is made for slugs after all.

Peyman