Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug vs. buckshot

Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Default RE: slug vs. buckshot

hey guys.
thank you so much for all the info. and help, I didn't know you could learn that much in a short period of time......humn....I would like goat hunt one day.

I'm now to this formun and I'm making a "Best Hunt Pic" forum where you can send in pics of your best hunt, no matter what kind of game. ...so I would appreciate if you took a couple of minutes and put your pic/pics in. Tell your friends.

Peyman
Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM

I agree. Buckshot is for home protection, for deer leave it up to the slugs.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't resist. I'm reading this and am only getting one opinion: buckshot sucks. How very untrue that is. I use it exclusively. You have to know what works with YOUR gun. I use 3" #1 out of my Rem 870 (full Choke) and out of my Mossberg 500 (full choke). Both weapons will harvest deer at 65 yards and beyond. I have patterned them and know exactly what my guns will do. You must try different loads with different choke to find out what is best out of your gun. To say that buckshot is only for home protection is a crock.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I'd rather shoot out to 100 yards with a slug than be limited to 65 yards with #1.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:17 PM

Hi Peyman,

I actually have three barrels for my 870. A ribbed 28" with interchangeable chokes. For shooting nearly any size shot. I have a sighted smoothbore for shooting Buckshot or Foster types slugs when and if used defensively, (and that is the barrel that stays on the gun at all times....other than hunting. It is also the barrel I use as a camp gun barrel with Brennekes in bear country). And I have a sighted Rifled Barrel that is zeroed and used when required for deer hunting.

Unless forced to do otherwise....I only use buckshot in a defensive role. Though if properly patterned....I could see using Magnum #4 buck (or something similar) for close range called in coyotes...in heavy cover! I would think they could be extremely effective at close to moderate range. The 12 gauge 3" Magnum #4 Buck has 41 pellets per load. Probably very good coyote medicine, (especially when teamed with another person using a centerfire varmint rifle). Shotgun for close, fast, work.....rifle for long range precision! A heck of a combination!

But it is a matter of preference!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If somebody says they can shoot buckshot out of a bead-sighted shotgun and hit a kill zone past 50yds...they're eyes are brown, because they're full of it.

At 50yds, a bead on a shotgun covers a deer's front end.

NOW, if you take the time to put good sights or a scope on your gun and pattern it properly, I'll buy the killing power of buckshot at say....50yds. HOWEVER, if you're going to take all this time, why not just shoot slugs?

Personally, I think buckshot is used promarily by those that consistently fling lead at running deer. This pisses me off beyond belief. A 10pt buck is not a cottontail rabbit, and can't be brought down by a couple pellets in the rump.

I'm sorry to you buckshot hunters that I have offended, but from my years of experience with the stuff, I don't like it. And from my experience with those that I've run across that use it...It is used to shoot at deer that shouldn't be shot at in the first place.

I would like to know ONE advantage of buckshot over a slug...besides in areas that require it due to population.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:16 PM

wow, I can smell a war in here, CALM DOWN!

Well, tomorrow I'm going to Ed's Gun Shop to buy a couple of 3" Slugs, I am going to zero my rifle-sights!

Hey, any tips for zeroing a shotty or is it the same procedure as a rifle.
What would be a good range to zero for slug? 50yd.?

Sorry if I always end a post with questions.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:52 PM

Hi Peyman,

I noticed from your first post that you have a "rifled" barrel on your shotgun. And from the last post I'd gather that you have adjustable sights. If both of those are true you'd sell yourself short if you don't try either a "saboted" slug....or for "rifled barrels only" slugs. Either way with a good adjustable sight you should receive sufficient accuracy and trajectory to zero your gun for 100 yards. Zeroed as such it should shoot flat and accurate enough for shots on deer sized targets to at least 100 yards....and maybe 125 yards.

You might as well take advantage of your equipment when you can?!? Let us know how it goes!

Best of luck....Dave.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried shotshell cartridges in handguns before, and you tend to get a donut shaped pattern- the spin put on by the rifling forces the shot in a latteral direction.

02bhntn- are you the one who has posted on this board and several other boards under the name of "Blain"?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman...I just about spit out a mouth full of coffee. Those were the days...Polar bears with buckshot....Grizzly's at 75yrds with buckshot....Elephants and cape buffalo with buckshot.

God I still miss Blain. LMAO

Quick Reply: slug vs. buckshot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.