Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 for whitetails

Old 01-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 270 for whitetails

I'd agree the .270 is great deer medicine!
There are many others that would be great too! The .308 .280 and especially the 7MM-08 are a few to look at too! But , I wouldn't even try to persuade you against the .270, it's a great one if thats the one you want!
BTW, I've had my fill of the Core-Locts too!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Okay guys, please explain to me what the problem is with the corelokts? I don't target shoot, I just hunt game. I don't have or claim to have a vast knowledge on cartriges. I personally have enjoyed success using them. What am I missing? Thanks, Larry
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

I have owned a .270 for as long as I can remember deer hunting

Me also. And I still don't see a need to change as far as whitetail hunting goes. Just feed it some Nosler Ballistic Tips and it will take a deer as far as most folks are capable of shooting.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay guys, please explain to me what the problem is with the corelokts?
I have had too many of them break up in the animal and not exit. They just seem really brittle and fragile to me. My Nosler CT Ballistic Silvertips don't seem to disintegrate nearly as bad and have so far left an exit wound you could stick a golfball in. Not to mention all my guns shoot them better than the Remingtons.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:51 AM

tell you truth..

i liked the 270win better than my 308win and 30-06sprg. for hunting whitetail deer. but i don't own one anymore. i think the 270win and 280rem are fine rounds for hunting deer upclose to out to those ranges you specified.
mine for some reason did not like the 140gr. at all and shot poorly grouping wise in several manufactures in that grain. the 130gr. grouped the best.

my next will be a 270win in either a sako finnlight or browning BPR.( if i can find one )
Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 AM

I don't know if I had the same problem as Frizeller with the ammo breaking up but I can attest to the fact that some of the core lockt bullets that I used never exited the animal and this was with 180 grains at 40 yards using a .30-06
Old 01-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Host of Hosts

We can argue all day on Corelokts vs other bullets. Whether they break up or they don't. I personally have NEVER lost a deer to their performance. You can use all the so-called premium bullets you want, dead is dead. I would not use them for larger game animals, but thin skinned animals like Whitetails, no problem.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:51 AM

Why don't I like Corelokts? I haven't used them in long time but this is my take on them.

The bullet didn't give me consistant performance. I don't know if it was because of bullets breaking-up or failing to expand but I do know they didn't and don't work for me and a large number of hunters that I know. I've only shot at four deer with them so my personal experiance is more limited than with other bullets. My results were 1 miss, 1 dead, 2 definately hit but not recovered. Those are the only two deer that I've ever hit that I wasn't able to find. No blood trail in either case. Both shots at around 50 yds and broadside. Should have been a slam dunk kill but wasn't. When I shoot a deer I know what to expect from Nosler BT's, Partition, or even Winchester Power Points and Sierra Pro Hunter.

Regardless of the rifle I shoot them from accuracy is either average or unacceptable. I'm not a benchrest shooter but why settle for average or poor accuracy when for the same money or a little extra you can hit what you're shooting at.

Many other hunters that I know have the same experiance and opinions about the Corelokts. I don't know of anyone who still uses them. Even two guys I know that only hunt Thanksgiving weekend have switched to other ammo because of bad experiances.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have been reading complaints about Rem core lokts on this board for some time, and just for giggles I decided to try some. I had not hunted with factory ammo since I began reloading in 1958, but what the heck. I bought two boxes at Wal Mart .30-06 -150 for me and .270 -130 for my wife.

We checked the sighting of our rifles (both Rem 700 BDL's) with them and I shot a 1" 3 shot group at 100 yds, her group was about 3/4". Not bad so far.

During the season I shot bucks at ranges of 31, 126, and 158 yards (ranged with my Bushnell rangefinder). She shot a buck at 56 yards. All of these were chest shots, one of mine and hers exited, two did not. But, not one of these deer took a single step. I guess they're not so bad after all.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had poor expansion problems with the Core-Locts I also recovered one from a buck this year, it did not expand well and seemed to break up, it retained less than half of its weight!
A better bullet would definately exited on this deer!
Although I recovered both deer, there was absolutely no blood trail and either of these deer could have easily been lost! If you are recovering bullets from chest-shot deer there has almost got to be some problem with these bullets!

Quick Reply: 270 for whitetails

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.