Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Mag complaints???

Old 01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm Mag complaints???

I have never had a problem with my 7mm. I do reload for it and I use a heavy bullet on all my game. I shoot a 175 grain Horn. Spire point , with 67 grains of RE 22. I use Fed primers . with Winchester casings. Out of my Ruger #1. they group very well at 100 yards. But I do know my gun . Have them try that load , and see if it might work for them.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the opportunity to hunt with the 7mm, 300 wm and 30-06. To date I have not actually had a deer drop in it's tracks. All have traveled some, the closest was harvested with a 30-06 which made it about 10 yds with none going over 50 yds or so. As others have said, match the bullet to the game, you don't need a 170 gr bullet for deer 140 does the job nicely.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

No matter what the cartridge or caliber (to some extent) if the bullet is put where it is suppost to be put and it is of correct construction for the game and velocity it is traveling then that equals a dead animal. It doesn't matter if it is coming from a 7mm RM, 280 Rem, 7mm-08, 7mm STWor a 7mm UM, if the shooter puts the bullet in the correct spot then you get a dead animal, that's it.

If your buddies are having trouble killing with the 7mm RM I would suspect that they ore either flinching at the shot and not hitting the animal correctly, or useing a bullet that it of incorrect construction, or just expect way too much out of a bullet. Probably the latter.

In 18 years of hunting I have only droped one animal in its tracks when useing a rifle and that was a cow elk that was quartering to me and I put a 140 grain failsafe from a .270 hrough her shoulder, heart, and lungs. The rest have either walked or ran off at least a few steps up to 500 yards.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to hunt with and still own a 7mm mag Ruger MKII bolt action. My father hunted for years with a 7mm mag Browning BAR. We both killed many deer with them. Some dropped where they stood and some ran a little. I also hunted for a long time with a 30-06. Killed a lot of dear with it. Same deal. Some dropped and some ran a little. I have also killed a lot of deer with a 243 and had the exact same results.

Despite what anyone tells you there is no caliber or cartridge out there that produces sledgehammer dropped in his tracks kills every time. However, I did not find nor do I believe that deer are more prone to run off after being well hit with a 7mm mag than any other deer sized cartridge. Is it more gun than most people actually need for whitetails? Maybe, thats why I now use a 7mm-08. But you put a 140 or 150 grain bullet from a 7mm mag in the boiler room and a buck won't go far enough to matter.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pro-LineOf those of you who shoot a 7mm mag, do any of you have complaints of its knockdown ability?The reason I am asking is that I know of 2 guys that USED to shoot this caliber and hated it. They both reloaded and couldn't find a bullet/powder combo that worked well with the speed of the 7mm. I hunted with one guy several times and did notice that we had to trail a few deer. I believe he was shooting a 164 or 168gr BTSP.I've never hunted with one...just wondering if anybody else noticed this. Don't mean to offend any 7mm lovers.

Every DEER I've shot with my 7 Mag. was shot with a Nosler Partition 140-grain bullet, and every one hit the ground immediately, so hard they bounced!! The thing is so destructive, I bought a 7X57mm for deer instead, and relegated the Maggie to elk & larger critters only. I now use the 175-grain Nosler Partition in it, at a MV of 3050 FPS, and it performs on elk about like the 140-grain load did on deer. I would not hesitate to use it with this 175-grain load on all N. American game except for Polar Bears and Coastal Brownies in AK!! The people I know who don't like the 7 Mag. had trouble with it due to incorrect bullet selection, poor shooting, or both! (Deer don't always drop on the spot from a good hit with powerful weapons, either!!)
Old 01-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting 7 mags for over 20 years. I've owned 4 of them (Browning, Ruger, Remington and now a Sako 75). There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with this cartridge. I've killed deer with several different bullets over the years. This year I handloaded the 160 gr. Nosler Accubond and I've taken one deer with it so far. This combination worked perfectly, but then again I've never had what I'd call a failure with anything I've tried in the 7 mag. I've never heard anyone else complain about this cartridge either.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know that anyone that I've ever met disliked the 7mm rem mag for it's reloading problems, to my knowledge, there aren't any that aren't typical of hundreds of other rounds. Why I won't own another 7mm (except maybe a 7mm-08) unless it's GIVEN to me-then I'd probably sell it and buy something else-is the fact that in hunting applications, it's no better than a lot of other rounds-but can be a whole lot worse, i.e. compare it to one of my 30's, a .30-06 for example, both are only accurate enough even in the best shooter's hands to take deer at 600yrds or so, where one might outshine the other on any given shot-neither can offer any more confidence at any given range than the other-but every 7mm I've ever shot-and at my range I've handled a few!-have kicked like hell, a whole lot more than a deer rifle should in my opinion, so basically carrying a 7mm instead of a .30-06 or especially a .308 is giving you more bang on your end without more bang at the buck...there's nothing wrong with this, if you like it, fine, I won't say that it's a bad cartridge, but it isn't my cup of tea-if I want to carry something that recoils, I'll take one of my .416Rigby's out, at least that way I get more power downrange too.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 AM

I love the 7mm Rem. Mag. I have found that it works perfectly if you pick the right load combo. Deer are relatively small in comparison to the power of the 7mm. The heavier bullets with go right through and not deliver that much energy. Use lighter bullets and you will have much better performance. Use those 175's on heavy animals like Elk.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

but every 7mm I've ever shot-and at my range I've handled a few!-have kicked like hell, a whole lot more than a deer rifle should in my opinion, so basically carrying a 7mm instead of a .30-06 or especially a .308 is giving you more bang on your end without more bang at the buck...there's nothing wrong with this, if you like it, fine, I won't say that it's a bad cartridge, but it isn't my cup of tea-if I want to carry something that recoils, I'll take one of my .416Rigby's out, at least that way I get more power downrange too.
If you have a 7.5 lb. 7X57mm firing a 175-grain bullet @ 2700 FPS, and a 7.5 lb. .30/'06 firing a 180 grain @ 2700 FPS, the '06 will have slightly more recoil than the 7X57mm. But if the stock shape and scope mountings are identical, I doubt that anyone could tell you which was which by firing it! As a matter of fact, most people consider the 7X57mm a much milder round to fire than the '06. If it is loaded to its real potential, the 7X57mm IS NOT MILD AT ALL!! But, it does not kick more than a .30/'06!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:42 AM

No problems here, the 7mm RM i own, i bought with the BOSS, ear plugs are a must!! but the recoil is almost 1/2 of my rem 308. I did find that when firing at mr. deer you dont hear it anyway. Ilove it. jmo.

Quick Reply: 7mm Mag complaints???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.