Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The truth about guns and loads.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:20 AM

Default RE: The truth about guns and loads.

If we gave it some thought we'd understand that shooting accurately is purely mechanical. Like putting in golf, shooting pool, or making foul shots in basketball, mechanics and angles play a critical role in our success. We can practice continously at the range but that practice doesn't duplicate the conditions we'll find when we're in the field.
Those ex-military types out there will attest to having gone through training that was made to feel as close to the real deal as could be achieved. Practice doesn't make perfect but perfect practice helps.
Recently, I shot a deer during the black powder season here in NY from a treestand that I refer to as a "deluxe apartment in the sky". This poor critter had zero chance because he walked into view right under my gun which had a proper rest with me in a perfect seated position. It was a benchrest shot.
Now, under the best conditions, we're often hard pressed to find this situation in the field. Elk hunters especially know that elk can and will change zip codes during the day so you cover a lot of ground. Finding a "proper" rest is often difficult if you can find one at all. I'll confess to not liking shooting sticks but they are better than nothing. Holding steady on an animal using your knee or anything else is problematic at best. Compound it by excitement and oxygen debt and you have a formula for a miss. (Notice I didn't say failure.... getting a shot on a bull elk is success enough.)
Learning to steady the muzzle of a rifle within a few degrees is a skill for which we should strive. I'll shot again this afternoon in preparation for that hunt in N.M. but there won't be a bench around, just a sick buddy who'll create "scenarios" for me. It's kind of like playing "H.O.R.S.E." in basketball....... see if you can make this one..... Of course he's the best shot I've ever met.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 AM

Default RE: The truth about guns and loads.

Good simulation for the REAL thing!

Congrats on "escaping" from the bench rest, most "elk hunters" never do.

EKM