Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

VERY interesting.....

Old 01-08-2004, 11:50 AM

Default RE: "OK" Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! by, Drilling-Man

DM, good to see you've got things straightened out and got back on the bb.I agree, the responses from some of the "guru's" with their "vast knowledge" was almost laughable.Newfy slug?, gimme a break, whose the retard?
I guess some people don't realize that self-defense can and does come into play when wild animals are involved. If in a self defense mode you use whatever is handy, anything from a pocket knife to an elephant gun, you just happened to have a 12 guage. I don't blame you,I'd have done the same thing,of coarse some guys might try to figure out the ballistics and ethics before defending themselves
Old 01-08-2004, 03:47 PM

plainsman....im not the "retard" that thought of the "newfy slug" thing...a couple years ago while we went there on vacation some ppl we met there showed us that trick that they have used to kill moose out to 60 yards. im sure they r poachers, and no i havent tried it myself since id rather just buy slugs cuz i know nothing bad will happen....

and DM were u referring to me as the guy that asked if a .243 would kill a coyote at 350 yards? if u were i think your mistaken. there is a thread i started about wether a .22-250 or .243 is better, maybe your thinking of someone that told a story of a coyote not being recovered after being shot at 350 yards with a .243?

now about the moose. yes i have helped my uncle and grandfather skin 6 different moose and have never heard of a moose being shot with #6 and i didnt believe that such small shot would penetrate enough to kill one. i have heard of stories of moose not being recovered after being shot with a .243 and another with a .25-06. i dunno about u guys but everyone i know would shoot in the air instead of straight ahead. shootin the air would be the best option to try and scare it away to avoid wounding game, and possibly another human. then if it didnt stop then u think about shooting it. it wasnt a wise decision and u should know that, what if u got caught by a game warden? they probly woudnt believe your story so u would be paying a hefty fine. here in ontario if u get caught doin stuff like that u could lose your vehicle, equiptment and guns, plus a large fine.

ch312
Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM

It is very easy to say what you would do in a given situation until you are faced with the situation . And if you have never looked an angry moose in the face you should not try to tell someone how to handle the problem. I don't know about now but 20 years ago moose in the winter time on the Kenia Peninsula were a real problem as they would come into town looking for an easy meal sometimes with a bad attiude. and it used to be ok to kill an animal in defense of life or property.