Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 wsm

Old 12-22-2003, 02:50 PM

Default 270 wsm

I was reading a blip from winchester ammo and it says:

"these cartridges deliver incredible accuracy as well as magnum energy and velocity performance in a short-action cartridge, all with lower percieved recoil in light-weight rifles."

I am looking at getting the Tikka T3 lite in a 270 wsm, the rifle weighs 6 3/16oz.
Other articles say that with these short mags have alot of recoil and a rifle around 8 lbs is best suited. But according to winchester that is wrong?? Please let me know if that T3 lite is too light for the 270 wsm or its ok.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:33 PM

Default RE: 270 wsm

It's all going to boil down to how much recoil you can handle without developing bad shooting habits. Heavy recoil can cause a shooter to start anticipating it and flinch at the shot.

Winchester is no different than any other marketer. They are going to make their product sound like the best it is. Truth be known, even though the caliber is named for the company that introduced it, it doesn't mean their ammo will shoot best in a particular gun.

A 6+ lb rifle is light and even if you add accessories like scope, bipod, etc, you're not going to eliminate recoil. It's a fact that the more weight there is, the less you feel the recoil. If recoil concerns you, I wouldn't get the T-3 Light in anything but a .243, 7mm-08, etc. Even the standard .270 may kick more than you want in that light of a rifle. But then again, it's all in how YOU perceive the recoil. If you're a youngster (I say this in general because I don't know you) and you weigh less than 150 lbs, then I'd say that the .270 wsm is going to bother you in that light of a rifle. However, if you are experienced, and weigh more than that, it may not bother you at all.

From personal experience, out of a standard 7 1/2 lb rifle (naked), the .270 / 30-06 was about all I wanted to shoot. I did try a .300 Win Mag in a rifle in that weight range and while I didn't notice it in the field, I didn't like it at the bench. I shoot alot, so I got rid of that rifle. I developed a flinch that took a bunch of .22 shooting to get rid of.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

If there is any way you can do it try to shoot one before you buy one. This may not be possible but would be nice. That gun IMO would be borderline. The recoil is about like a 30-06 in simalar weight rifle. I have never shot the light weight Tikka so thats about the best I can do. I like the idea of the 270 WSM and have thought about getting one t00. I was however looking at the Winchester Coyote. Thats a pretty heavy rifle.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Yes I do wish I could shoot that 270 wsm in that Tikka but I don't know anybody around that has it, let alone a 270 wsm in my area. Im going to a gun show in January and may be able to hook up with someone who has one. Any body shoot a 270 wsm??? let me know what you think??
Cheers!!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have a browning in the 270 wsm and I put a sims recoil pad on it,works for me.I shot 60 rounds in it one day with no problem.Looked at the T-3 and it was very similar to the browning stalker that I have but don't know the weight difference.So if you can find a sims pad to fit the t-3 it should work.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 270 wsm in the Winchester model 70 featherweight. Shooting 130gr bt's is no problem, even for an all day shoot. My rifle also has the thin red recoil pad from the factory ( new wsm's come with pachmayrs) and recoil is no problem. My friends 30-06 weighs about the same (if not more) and shoots harder with 150grainers. The simbs pads are getting high marks for there recoil reduction. My rifle weights 7.5lbs without a scope, not sure with but recoil is not a problem (and i dont like being kicked). Acurracy is A+++