Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Strongest Action.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strongest Action.

James, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Mauser 98 for the .338-06 or the 6.5-06...it'll work fine.

I have guns with claw extractors in .25-06, .264 Mag, 7MM Mag, .300 Mag, .338 Mag and .375 H&H and am not at all concerned about safety with them.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

I have been toying with the Idea of one last custom rifle. I have had a few made up mostly on the 700 Remington action because I used LH bolts. I have sort of gone back to shooting right hand bolts though I still have to shoot left handed. (NO right eye). With the bad left shoulder I can use the right hand as well as I can the LH. I have access to a couple of Mauser 98 actions. Whats your expierence or opinion on useing one of these VS one of the good commerial actions? I am considering the 338-06 or 6.5-06. Its going to have a 26 inch barrel. Of that I am sure.
IF PROPERLY HEAT-TREATED, the Mauser makes a better custom rifle than any of the commercial ones. My next choice after a good M98 would be a CRF M70 Win. action, preferably a pre-64 vintage one, or one of the newly made similar ones like the Montana actions now available.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am planning to have it chambered for .257 Roberts. Will this be a good idea or should I use a different action?
There is absolutely NO reason to NOT use one of your Mausers for a .257 Roberts!!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a .500 Jeffery on a Mauser 98.........it's a very fine custom take down and isn't the type of gun found in most closets.....
NO! I didn't build it...nor would I....But it attests to the enourmous strength of the '98 Mauser.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

The Weatherby Mark 5 and Champlin are the two strongest actions I have ever read about.
The Lazzeroni Sp. ? is one of the strongest modern actions.
The Weatherby has withstood chamber pressures close to 200,000 psi
I couldn't care less really as I prefer a claw extractor to a strong action with a puny extractor like the Remington. JMO

Sag.