Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 youth .308?

Old 12-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rem 700 youth .308?

I just bought my son a new Remington 700 ADL Youth in .308 for Christmas this morning. While I was mounting the scope I noticed something unusual. When you close the bolt the bolt handle point slightly downward but not nearly as far as the one on my .270. It feels like it's locked in but doesn't go down as far as I'm used to. This is the first short action rifle I've ever owned. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 12-05-2003, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Rem 700 youth .308?

Hi Ballistictip,

I have a question. Did it shut any further before you mounted the scope?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'r bolt needs to rotate down enough so that the firing pin can fall on a primer.....with the gun empty, close the boltmas far as it can go and dry fire it. You can see visibly by looking at the cocking piece on the rear of the bolt whether the firing pin fell to where a cartridge should have been.....if it don't....you got trouble!!

AK might be on the trail with the scope mounts.....
Old 12-05-2003, 10:54 PM

Hi again Ballistictip,

In case you don't get back to this thread tonight....the reason I asked is this. If the scope base mounting screws are extending down into the action it may be preventing the bolt from closing. I have personally had to replace the screws provided with some bases with shorter ones because exactly that happened. It has only happened a couple of times in over 30 years....but it does sometimes happen.

If the bolt closes all the way without the scope base screws tightened down...that's the problem.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I feel stupid. After mounting the scope I did do a visual check but after posting here I got to thinking about it. One of the mounting screws is barely sticking out into the groove for the lug that locks the bolt in the breech. You can't see it but if you stick your finger in there you can feel it. I've heard of this happening before but never actually seen it. I'll stop by the gun shop next week and pick up a short screw for it. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 PM

Before you do, look at your base. I've seen some (especially Leupold) bases that have a little step to them. If you don't get the right screw in the right place, it will do what your's did. Pull all the screws out, look at them, and your bases. You may just need to put the right screw in the right spot.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Hey Ballistictip,

No need to feel stupid! We've all been there in the learning process. I've yet to meet any one "born knowing everything". (On the other hand I met a few that thought they were.)

The first time I had that happen to me.....it took me "next to forever" to figure it out. Well, it seemed like "next to forever".

Good luck with those screws!
Old 12-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistictip:

If you want, all you have to is take a file to the screw and reinstall it. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 PM

Dannyboy is right. More than likely you got your screws crossed (is that better than them bein loose? )

Most "stepped action" guns have lower rear mounts than they do front mounts so the length of the screws will be different and require longer screws than the front mount will. But then you also get the case like in a Leupold setup where its tapered on the back of the rearmount. The screw in the back of the mount will be shorter than the one in the front. BT simply take everything apart and then install each screw into the holes to see which one goes in the furthest without sticking all the way out into the chamber. Do NOT file them, not yet anyway. The idea behind different lengths is to provide maximum thread contact and if you put a short screw in a long hole you just compromised that mounts sheer strength.

Good luck and dont forget the Loc-Tite!
RA
Old 12-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

These are the 2 piece Leupold bases and I used the two long screws in the front base. I should be able to swap a short screw from the rear base into the rear hole on the front base. Just got to wait until the boy's not at home to do it. He's pretty much my shadow and goes wherever I go and does whatever I do. He has no idea he's getting the gun for Christmas and I want to keep it that way. I think he'll be pleasantly suprised. Thanks to everyone for the help. I've mounted about 5 or 6 scopes before but never ran into this problem. RedAllison, I've been accused more than once of having a screw loose but never having them crossed.

Quick Reply: Rem 700 youth .308?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.