Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Default what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

Hello everyone... I am interested in buying a new rifle for mostly only white tail here in Michigan.... I was wondering what is too big? I want something that is strong, accurate and shoots straight. I would like to be on the bigger end of white tail cartridges since I may someday want to shoot at a larger critter. So I wanted to ask everyone What is considered Too Big for white tails? I know that everyone says 30-06...but I think I want to be alittle different... it seems that everyone hunts with a 30-06. I know that a 30-06 is a good cartridge but I find it alittle boring...

all suggestions are welcome....
thanks
Jeff
Old 12-03-2003, 11:27 AM

Default RE: what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

I would consider a rocket propelled granade too much. Sorry I couldn't help it. But really I feel a most any caliber will work fine as long as you know it limiation. 7mm mag. is a good caliber if you want one gun. It will work fine for short and long shots with plenty of knock down power.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think there really is a too big. ok maybe nothing bigger then say a .300 but you do want him dead right? Why not use a .300 and make sure hes dead
Old 12-03-2003, 11:42 AM

I have always borrowed a gun for deer hunting and finally decided to buy my own... I would like one gun for everything... The reason that I ask the above question is because I have been at the range with several friends and you always here the "small talk" as soon as a 300 winmag or something similar goes off down the range acouple seats... I have heard the "oh that is too big of a gun for whitetail" or " that is too big of a gun for Michigan"... I just wanted to get some opionions before I went out and spent several hundred dollars on a gun. The way I look at it is that whether a deer is shot through the shoulder with a 300winmag or .243 what is the difference...it is still dead and cant get any deader!! I was just wondering what everyone else thought.... then I hear about the meat damage a larger caliber can cause...is there any fact to that?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine shoots a 300 Win mag and generally has no more meat damage than I get with my .270. Of course you will get more meat damage with most any caliber if you make a shoulder shot. I prefer double lung placed just behind the shoulder. Also, a 300 Win mag will easily take any game found in North America.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

30-06 would be a good choice although its more than you really need. My pick would be the 260, 270. 7mm-08 6.5x55 or 25-06. Ruger chambers all of these in thier Model 77 rifle. That would be my pick. Good Luck and good hunting.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using a 338 Win. Mag for deer hunting is a bit much but using a 7mm Rem. Mag is a good all around bullet. I’ve had one for years and have always enjoyed hunting with it. Some guys I hunt with think it’s to much but I don’t think so. The recoil is very manageable.

I have never shot anything larger then deer but I think the 7mm Rem. Mag. would be able to handle most anything depending the type of bullet being used. This is just my opinion because I’ve used it for years. Good luck in your choice.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:53 PM

7mm Ultra Mag or 7mm STW.

One gun for all your needs.

Jason
Old 12-03-2003, 02:05 PM

Hi michtroutbum,

There really is no such thing as "too big". The majority of the discussions in that vein on this board are more in response to some that believe it is "necessary". If whatever caliber you choose to hunt with is in fact something that you can shoot well....it really doesn't matter. As far as damaged meat, that is more often a function of excessive velocity, expansion, and bullets put into the eating parts of the animal. (A good example is something on the order of a .45/70....it is really a big bullet but because velocity is reasonable you do not loose much to blood shot meat. On the other hand shoot a whitetail through the hindquarter with even a .243 caliber 100 grain bullet at .240 Weatherby velocity at close range...and you may lose the entire hindquarter.) Sometimes a shot at a less than desirable angle is called for....or not taking the animal. If you want to be able to take a shot on a whitetail from less than good angles....pick a stoutly constructed bullet for your choice of caliber. For instance a 180 grain in a .30 caliber, or 160 grain in a 7mm, or 140 grain in a 6.5mm....and if these bullets are driven to reasonable velocities (2700 fps or even a little less) they will penetrate very well. But will not be overly destructive.

Though I will say, (and probably will alot of other people), there are many cartridges that will shoot flatter than that, and be more suited to wide open spaces. If you choose to push a bullet faster then it should be toughly constructed to insure it does not expand too rapidly. And many of the premium bullets do exactly that.

For deer sized medium game and a few elk thrown in occasionally I would think any thing from .264/.277 caliber on the light side....up to .308 would be sufficient. As long as the case is big enough to produce the velocity you are looking for. And if long ranges are anticipated then velocities over 2700 fps make the shooter's job easier. Popular cartridges would include nearly anything between the standard .270 Winchester up to any of the .300 Magnums. If you are looking for something more esoteric there are any number of "semi-wildcat" and wildcat cartridges. Not to mention cartridges like Lazzeroni's, Dakota's, and quite a few others.

So it really boils down to "how different" would you like to be?

But good luck in the final decision, (that's half the fun....deciding on what gun next)!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm crazy about the .30-06, and it's really not too much. There are so many calibers from the .243 on up that can do the job, and the .30-06 is certainly towards the high end of the spectrum. But it shoots well, has great ballistics, and has plenty of power for long-range shots.

You'll find a lot of 7mm Rem Mag advocates here, and it's also great round. Personally I think it's a tad bit much, and I wouldn't bother using anything larger on a whitetail. My shooting buddy's uncle uses a .300 Win Mag when he hunts on his land so he can completely destroy both shoulders to keep the deer from jumping his property line.

I would certainly say that the .338 Win Mag is overkill in the big way. Great for grizzlies, just plain unneccesary for whitetail.

Quick Reply: what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.