Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE: what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

My personal choice for Minn. Deer is the .270. I like the balistics for where I hunt. I would not hesitate to get a 7mm mag for all around hunting however. I would have gotten that for elk, but it was close enough to my .270 that I went with a .338. Anything .270 and larger will take anything up to and including Elk. This is what my guide told me and I believe him
Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion you have too much gun when you can't shoot it well because you are afraid of the recoil and flinch, won't practice, etc. Other than that the sky is the limit.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that a 30-06 is a good cartridge but I find it alittle boring...
So boring that its been around for almost 100 years, and outsurvived many 'fad' cartridges that are now obscure- not unlike how it will probably be still stocked in ever sporting goods store 50 years from now, while the RUMS, SAUMS, and WSMs will relegated to hobby reloaders who have the time to form their own brass.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman.....bingo
Old 12-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

On the big side for whitetails, but powerful enough for elk and moose, you won't see many .280 Rem's out in your Midwestern woods. I'd actually go with a .270, but is almost as popular as the .30-'06.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

frizzellr...nail...head!

Gordon
Old 12-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

It has been suggested that I have a preference for whimp rifles. Those pieces of junk that won't shoot a 180-200 grain bullet at least 3100 fps. If thats true, and Who am I to dobt it. take a look at the ballistics of the 378 Weatherby Mag. Pretty impressive. What critter could stand up to that little popper? Go big or stay at home.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well James B, my whimpy little 270 Win is looking better every day since they can't figure out what happened to my shoulder. I love my 300 Win Mag, but just can't deal with it any more. If I had a 260 Rem I would be using it, but the 130 grain CT Silvertips sitting over IMR 4350 has accounted for three deer this season so far. Not bragging on my shooting ability but I tend to shoot alot better when I know it won't hurt. Never figured when I was a kid with a 30-06 that I would ever shoot a 270. Now I doubt I will ever "need" anything else. Of course the wish list is as long as my arm, and even includes another whimpy round but only for varmints. Looking forward to more info on the 204 Ruger.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:15 PM

i currently use a 308 on deer but wouldn't mind having a 243 or 25-06. these would be my ideal calibres for deer however if i was to move to bigger game i would stick with the 308.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Frizzeller. I hate to welcome you to the club of bad shoulders. At first they thought I had a torn Rotater But the Arthrograhm showed that was ok. I have been taking cortisone shots in it but that can only go so far. They think nows its just severe Arthritis. Recoil hurts it bad. I think you know what I mean although I hope yours don't hurt as bad as mine. I can't even lift a gallon jug of water with my left shoulder. I can't shoot right handed because I lost my right eye many years ago in an accident. I had a new 300 Win mag when it really got bad. I took it to the range and fired it six times and went to Fargo and traded it in on a 257 Roberts. I can shoot that all day without recoil pain. I also have a 260 and 6.5x55. They are gentle on the shoulder as well. I shot a 270 the other day for a guy to chronoghraph some loads for him. It was a model 70 Win. and fairly heavy it didn't bother me much but I suspect the shoulder will get worse before it gets better. They can do surgery on my shoulder but the doc says if that don't work I will be worse off that I am now so I will have to think long and hard about that. Man I hate to see someone else go through this I hope they find your problem and get it fixed. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: what is TOO BIG for whitetail in the midwest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.