Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mausers??

Old 02-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mausers??

A buddy of mine just got a 6.5x55mm mauser, and I just bought my girlfriend a 7mm mauser, both are in great shape, even though one is a 1942 and the other a 1894!! A couple of my hunting buddies and I have been talking around about it, but we can't decide what makes a mauser a mauser???? One thought German made, but I know that there are all types of mausers, I thought maybe European military issue rifles are called mausers. Does anybody know for sure why they are called mausers??????

Edited by - Christine B on 02/06/2002 12:49:00
Old 02-05-2002, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Mausers??

It's the type of action they have. A lot of the modern bolt actions are based on the mauser action. Very good guns and take a beating. I had a czek 8mm mauser for a while and it was a very nice gun. I gave it to a friend who drooled over it every time we would shoot it. He hunted and I didn't at the time, so I thought it would be of better use in his hands. I do miss it though, it was in very good condition and pleasant to shoot. The recoil was very manigable for the caliber.

Ask the same question on a gun forum and you get a better answer.

Paul
Old 02-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mausers??

What makes a Mauser a Mauser is that it was designed by the brothers Paul and Wilhelm Mauser. The very first real Mauser rifle was the model 71 Infanterie Gewehr, first brass cartridge rifle of the German Army. From there the brothers developed MANY different models.....some with different characteristics...some cocking on opening......some cocking on closing.....all with very strong lock-up. Most folks think of the Model 98 when they hear the word "Mauser". The more modern Mausers, like the 98 were the basic platform for most of todays modern bolt rifles..... Pretty much all modern rifles produced today are of much superior quality due to metal technology and the tolerances available with modern machining, but lotsa folks still seek out quality Mauser actions for use in building there own custom rifles (I think the Argentine 1909, among others, is sought after).
There are too many models and styles of Mausers to list here.......grab a biography from the library on the brothers Mauser ...its very interesting reading for gun nuts.