Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

16 guage comeback

Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 AM

Default 16 guage comeback

I' ve heard that with the re-introduction of the 16 gauge, by Remington I believe, it' s beginning to regain some of it' s former glory status. Has anyone around here bought one or planning on buying one? Who else besides Remington is now producing them? Could be a great first shotgun for many kids and women.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:17 AM

Default RE: 16 guage comeback

I haven' t been around it for about a year now, but Remington did come out with an 870 in 16 gauge, in a youth model. I don' t know if it will make a great comeback or not. I think for it to become popular again, someone is going to have to make it in a semi-auto. And I' m not sure the major factories are willing to risk it.

In my humble opinion, the 16 was the ideal upland game gun. But for some reason, the American ideal of " I gotta have a 12 gauge" (bigger is better mentality) pretty much killed it. For those of us that have no problems admitting that the 12 gauge is punishing when you shoot it alot, the 20 gauge is there to fill in. The 20 gauge will do (with the right loads) anything the 16 can, with less recoil. I have a buddy that loves his 12 gauge over/under. And he scoffs at my 20 gauge over/under. But he' s the one whining after a double round of sporting clays.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Browning has also introduced their Citori in 16 Ga.....

For me to bite they have to reintroduce the 16 Ga on the 20 Ga frame.

The 16 is a fine gun and there' s a few folks drooling to get one.....the 20 Ga in 3" and modern ammo is equivalent however and the relative popularity of the 16 is still small.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

The Rem. 870 and 1100 16s are built on the 12ga. frame. So no weight benifit from them. I believe Ithica has came back out with a 16 not sure which gun though. I doubt we will see a big comeback for the 16.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 PM

Yes, a lot of 16's are on 12 guage frames, but i have (2) S&S 16's that are on 20 guage frames, and it sure makes a handy gun!!! I've taken ducks, grouse, rabbits and a lot of other small game with mine.

My father shot an Remington auto in 16 guage for many many years, and in fact at age 90 still he uses it. The best part is, although he still uses the auto, he gave it to me!!!

Haveing said all that, "if" i was buying a "new young hunter" a shotgun, it would probably be a 20 guage, only because the shells are so much cheaper, and maybe that would encourage him to shoot more!!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

A 3" 20ga will NEVER kill like a 16ga. Never.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Ahhh, the 16 guage "the perfect bore". It is a truly great gauge, but has declined for several reasons. And now with the popularity of 1 oz. 12 ga. loads it is fighting an uphill battle. The ol' 16 has a little too much recoil for a sensitive shooter (particularly in a light gun), but is truly a great upland game gun. However, I really believe that as the popularity of upland hunting has declined, so has the niche for the 16 ga. and unfortunately it has also been left out of the clay target sports (probably the main reason the 28 ga. still exists). All of which doesn't bode well for the 16 ga. except as a "nostalgia guage".

Gordon