Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 11-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which gun should I give to a 15 year old?

I' m sorry for your loss. I hope your grandson' s interest ion hunting isn' t too much for you to handle at this time.

As to your choice of guns, I too vote for the .308. I would take him out and see how he does shooting it. You should be able to tell whether he takes to the gun within a few shots. If not, go out and pick up a used 30/30 for him. If he is liek any other kid, he will cherish the gun that gandpa gives him. I have a gun from both of my grandfathers and would starve to death before I would take anything for them. They are cherished heirlooms and have a special place in my heart.

Matt
Old 11-25-2003, 02:53 PM

Another vote for the .308.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Host of Hosts

I would also recommend the 308. Sorry about your son!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:12 PM

im 16 and i thought i could help you out.if i was him i would want the M1 30-06.Dont worry about recoil if hes a tough kid
Old 12-03-2003, 05:01 PM

Hi HNI Visitor,

You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son. We lost our son about a year ago. He was my baby, my buddy, and my best friend. I truly am sorry to hear about your son!

I know the consensus to this point has been the .308, which is a very good choice. But there are a lot of variables you didn't mention. The particular .308 you mentioned has a "heavy" barrel which would make it extremely cumbersome for much deer hunting.

Is your Grandson big or little? Is he husky (ie. strong for his age) or slight? Will he be walking a lot....or sitting a lot? Will the ranges he will most likely face be short or long? All of these are important.

If he is relatively large and strong, and will be doing most of his hunting from a stand, after a relatively short walk in.....then the .308 would make a good choice. And its weight would help reduce felt recoil and make it easier to shoot well.

If on the other hand if he is slight in build, may be walking alot, and the ranges he most likely will encounter are 150 yards or less.....the Ruger Mini 30 (7.62 X 39) might make the best choice. Assuming a semiauto is legal in your state for hunting, (and check laws concerning magazine capacity).

Have him shoot both and see how he feels about each of them. If he can display proficiency with either of them.....maybe you should let him choose. If in fact he chooses one over the other and it turns out to not have been the best choice.....he will learn a valuable lesson.

If he can shoot the little Ruger mini 30 accurately to 150 yards with a good soft point load it will kill deer about like a .30-30. There is no doubt that the .308 is the more authorative cartridge....but that model may be less than handy for some types of deer hunting.

Good luck with your decision...and once again my condolences on your loss!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 PM

I'm very sorry about your loss.

If my opinion would help (since I'm 16) I would recommend the .308

I took my first deer with my fathers Rem. 30-06 SPRG. and I really like everything about it....not too much recoil, not too heavy of a rife, and not an elephant killer.

The reason I'm recommending the .308 is because you have the M1 30-06 which I think is too clumsy for deer hunting.

I wish you and your grand son the best!

Regards,

Peyman
Old 12-03-2003, 07:41 PM

Hi again HNI Visitor,

Like someone else already suggested. Start him with either the .223 Remington or the Marlin Camp 9mm. They will both have less recoil than any of the others....and they are fairly inexpensive as well (but not any cheaper than the 7.62X39).

Once again...good luck!

P.S. HNI Visitor. It sounds as though you may have limited experience with these firearms. If that is the case try to find either a Hunter Safety Instructor, (an NRA Safety Instructor), or at a minimum a local range where there is a qualified Range Master. (If all else fails and an internet search doesn't turn up something near you...try the local law enforcement training facility. Approach them and explain your situation and INSURE you and your grandson are well grounded in the safe handling and operation of these firearms!)
Old 12-05-2003, 06:54 AM

i say it would depend on if he has shot a gun before and if he has ever deer hunted before. personally i started out with a 20 gauge single shot when i was 8 then i progressed to a winchester 1300 pump(3' shells 00 buck). i now use every gun bow under the sun, blackpowder, shotgun, rifle, bow. i dont know where u live but if in the woods or u hunt in the woods then i say let him use a shotgun for a beginners gun to learn the basics plus to he shoots at a deer with 15 pellets rather than 1 much more chance he will hit the deer. i dont know anything more dicouraging than a youngster for the first time shooting a deer and missing. but i will say if you hunt the midwest plains of lots of open area then yeh my vote for the .308 and pratice lots before you go out hunting so he gets that first deer with it and keeps on truckn to bigger and better things.