Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which gun should I give to a 15 year old?

Sorry about your loss.

The Mini-30 and the Rem. .308 can both be used for deer. I' d recommend the .308. A bolt-action is more appropriate for a beginner, (safer!!) and the .308 is a better round for deer and larger game than the 7.62X39mm. But the 7.62X39mm will work, if the right bullets are used.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 AM

I was a string bean kid of 14 when I got my .270 but I had been shooting 12 gauge since age 10 (2 3/4 regular). The 270 was plenty at that age, but not too much, but then I had been shooting 22' s since I was 5, and a 410 since I was 7.

Assuming he has no prior experience with guns and he is " gearing up" for 2004' s deer hunt then, under supervision of course:
.223 first to master the basics, and several months later the
.308 when he is hungry (and ready) for it.

If he has experience already and is wanting to gear up for THIS deer season, then
.308, but supervise the " introduction process" .

EKM
Old 11-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .308 is probably the best option, even though the heavy bbl gun will be hard on a new hunter/youth, because:

the Mini 30 isn' t likely accurate enough for hunting, and the round isn' t a good beginning hunters cartridge.

the Garand is heavy and the mil ghost ring sights aren' t easy for beginners

the .223rem probably isn' t legal in your state, and it' s not a good beginners cartridge anyway.

the 9mm isn' t a good beginners cartridge even if it is legal, too limited of range.

Honestly, if it were me, looking in the safe at these guns, I' d take out the Garand, it' s an awesome gun and makes for awesome hunts, but since he' s a beginner and a youngster, the .308 will probably be the best bet....maybe take him out and see how well he shoots the .308, the mini, and the garand, find out which he likes most and which he shoots best, likely the same one...then let him pick which he wants to hunt with. (first explain that the cool look of the mini 30 won' t kill deer)
Old 11-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

HNI Vistor. Please accept my condolences.

I would say the 308 would be a good gun for your grandson.Unfortunately the Ruger Mini' s aren' t the most accurate rifles. The 223 is to small for deer especially with a young shooter. I would check your states requirements for minimum legal calibers.I wouldn' t even consider a 9mm for deer rifle or handgun.The Garand is to much rifle for a young person in IMHO.Go with the 308.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m sorry for your loss. What a wonderful gift to give your grandson.
For the hunting of deer top pick of your choices would be the .308
I' d get him to the range for lots of fun shooting with the .223 and th Mini 30 in 7.62 x 39, another fun round.
The .308 will be the ticket, but he should soon be able to try the Springfield...if it is in origianl military configuration it may end up being pretty comfortable to target shoot.....might be a little different lugging it aroung the woods.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:46 PM

I think the 308. would be the best choice. Low recoil good accu. short action. Just an all around good deer caliber.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:43 PM

If he is wanting a .30-30 you should go out and find a good one. Not a high priced one but one in good shape. In my opion a winchester 94 will do the trick plus when he has a child he can hand it down to his kid and say it is the gun his grandfather gave him for hunting. That way he gets a .30-30 and a memory of you forever.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:52 PM

Shudder, Shake, Quiver....
I hope it will pass!

EKM
Old 11-23-2003, 09:08 PM

I to am sorry about the loss of your son I would go with the 308 it is a grat calaber for the thing I would do is spend as much time as posadel at the rang and let the boy shoot the gun and get us to it the more confuldel he getts the better he will be good luck
Old 11-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Spike

Again sorry to hear of your loss. I also rcmd the 308.When he is older and wiser give the others to him.Wish my son would have gotten into the shooting sports.I had him to the gun range when younger and took him with me hunting small game but never was his thing.Now my grandson 5yrs old looks like he might have some intrest.When the wife and I keep the little ones grandaughter also he will be with me reloading likes to pull the press to resize the brass.I told him he has to do good in school and when he finishes school I will give them to him.Just hope by then the laws still permitt firearms.If so he will be very rich,if they have the same value and I notice at the guns shows the other day. HAPPY AND SAFE THANKSGIVING, Gen

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.