Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Break or Barrel Porting

Old 11-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Spike

Default Muzzle Break or Barrel Porting

Guys, I' m looking to put a break or maybe have porting done on my .338 win mag. Looking for any advice as to what consept works better, the break of barrel porting. I do understand by doing this, I will be increasing the noise levels, but I am prepaired to deal with that. Any experiences would be helpful in making the decission...

thanks in advance..

Latts
Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle Break or Barrel Porting

Both equally damaging to your hearing..

Muzzle Brake advantage:
Reduces Kick more
can be unscrewed if you don' t want to hunt with it(check POI though)
Disadvantage:
Costs more than porting

Advantage of Porting:
cheaper
gun does not have brake hanging on end of barrel

Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 AM

A few years ago, a company came out with their own version of the BOSS that could be added to any barrel. I can' t remember the name of the company, sorry, but what I liked most about it was, it didn' t shorten your barrel like the BOSS on the Brownings and Winchesters do.

If you can find that (used to be advertised in magazines and I haven' t paid attention lately) it would be great. Effects of a muzzle brake and the ability to tune your barrel/ammo combination.

I have a friend that has a Browning 300 Win Mag with the BOSS on it. I had one without the BOSS. The BOSS was unbelievable. The difference between the felt recoil of both guns was DRAMATIC!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have a .270 with BOSS. The recoil is much less than other guns but the noise level is unreal. My ears ring everytime I fire it.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep DG that is a good point you need to be more conscious of the hearing protection you wear both at the range and in the woods... If I were to use a muzzle braked rifle I would invest in those custom poured in ear canal electronic plugs.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:51 PM

old' you are EXACTLY right. I hunted for 15 years without any protection and now in my early 30s I have hearing damage and Tinitus (constant ringing of the ears). When I got my Sako/Lazzeroni Warbird I had a KDF brake installed before picking up the rifle. IMO the recoil reduction is MUCH greater than making a 338 feel like an 06. The gun simply has NO recoil IMO, just a hellaciously thunderous muzzleblast. I used muffs the first season and have since gotten two Game Ear IIs. All my buddies now shoot Warbirds/Firebirds/Patriots and most have gone to those custom molded hearing protection/amplifiers spoken of. They are a MUST for ANY rifleman in my humble opinion. I like the option of removing the brake if you simply had to shoot it without it, perhaps while with a guide who refused or didnt have hearing protection, or while tracking wounded game with help or other trackers (something not typically needed however with thundersticks like 338s and the SuperMags!). Some ranges might not like brakes on such guns as well for interfereing with nearby shooters!

I would do it in a HEARTBEAT! The only downside to magnums and superguns is the recoil and that negative can quickly be eliminated with such options.

Drop em where they stand!
RA

ps
I simply throw an extra pair of muffs in my backpack when I know I will be hunting in a stand/blind with a buddy or even my own children!