Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

strange POI pattern

Old 11-18-2003, 07:17 AM

Default strange POI pattern

OK, I have a Savage model 110, .243 Win, synthetic stock, 4-12x42mm scope.

It doesn' t matter which bullet weight that I use, either 80 ggrain bullet or the 100' s.

When shooting at 100 yards, off of sandbags, the second bullet strikes about 1/2" up to left of the first, and the third bullet strikes up to the left of the second. Both bullet weights, every time, same exact way. The barrel is free floating, before and after each shot, it isn' t warping into the forearm. (I' m checking this by put a dollar bill between barrel and forearm to see if it catches) Each three shot group is fired about 20 seconds between each shot. Then I let the barrel cool for about 5 minutes between groups.

What do think is causing this?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:24 AM

Default RE: strange POI pattern

Are you sighting in for deer? If so, I' d increase the grains of the slug and see if it makes a differrence.What brand scope are you using? Sounds strange to me, I don' t think the barrel could be overheating as you are allowing time between shots/groups.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please try this experiment...go back to the range and fire three shots as fast as you can....being careful to use proper trigger technique...this is hard but it' s worth it. Do this at least five times allowing proper cool down between groups.

Then take five more three shot groups waiting five minutes between shots.

If either of these groups is significantly better than what you' ve been doing, it implies that your barrel may have a small concentricity problem.....and from what you described it' s going to be nearly impossible to isolate it and fix it......

You didn' t say how far from the second hole the third one hits...if it' s another 1/2 inch, I can assure you that there' s a lot of folks that would love a gun that shoots 1" three shot groups.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 AM

plainsman,

I' m sighting it in for coyotes. I like the 80 grain bullets for this. But for deer, I would want to go any heavier than 100 grains, can' t find any factory ammo that loads heavier than that.

Vapodog,
Yes the third shot is 1/2" from second, and YES I' m happy with a 1" 3 shot group. But it seems to me that if it would group into a " round" group, then maybe it would make one ragged hole.
Someone else suggested that I stuff a couple of layers of buisness card paper into the forearm tip between forearm and barrel to give steady pressure. I' m going to try this, I have nothing to lose but 3 cartridges.

What is this concentricity thing?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 AM

Plainsman,
The scope is a Tasco world-class target scope. I don' t blame the scope, because the same scope was on two other rifles, a .223 single shot bull barrel, and a 300 win mag bolt, standard barrel.

Neither of these two rifles made a pattern like this.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 AM

I think you' re lucky to have a sporter weight rifle that shoots 1" . There' s a lot more " one ragged hole" groups lied about on the forums and in gun shops than are ever shot. You may just be hitting the best that rifle will do, which is pretty darn good in the real world.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:57 AM

diyj98,

I commpletely understand that aspect, but don' t you find it strange as far as this stringing group in concerned? I' m not complaining in anyway, shape, or form. I jjust find it weird. I am certainly not going to sell the rifle or anything. This rifle has taken down four deer for me.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Mainehunt

You should concider selling it and getting a Browning.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:33 PM

no response
Old 12-05-2003, 08:37 AM

I have the same problem but i know its with my bsa(garbage) scope. Shoots fine on 3x but if i zoom up through 9x the poi goes off to the upper right. On 3x i hit bullseye but a=on 9x i am 3-4 inches off the mark.. TRY PUTTING THAT TASCO SCOPE ON YOUR OLDER RIFLES NOW AND SEE IF THE SAME THING HAPPENS< SO YOU CAN ELIMINATE THE SCOPE AS THE CAUSE> WONT COST ANYTHING. maybe something lnide the scope is off. Tascos are not good scopes and by the sound of it, you got your moneys worth from that scope

Quick Reply: strange POI pattern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.