Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

“Weak” cartridges, but “recommended” for large animals.

Old 07-14-2024, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DR015
What you mean, however, is that momentum is more important in the lethality of a cartridge than kinetic energy.?
Yes, quite directly so. Kinetic Energy is converted into several different things in real world, inelastic collisions - and even LOST. Because Kinetic Energy is NOT conserved in real world, inelastic collisions.

Momentum, alternatively, IS conserved. And unlike Kinetic Energy, momentum does not overvalue velocity over mass by squaring the velocity vector - such high KE rounds can "cheat" their way to high KE by traveling very fast, but a bullet cannot lie about its potential when reviewed in terms of momentum, which equally values mass and velocity.

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Momentum is governed by mass.
Momentum is not "governed by mass." But rather, Momentum is NOT governed by velocity, as is Kinetic Energy. Momentum values mass and velocity equally - if we double mass at the same velocity, we double momentum. If we double velocity at the same bullet mass, we double momentum. For kinetic energy, if we double mass at the same velocity, we double KE, but if we double velocity of the same bullet weight, we quadruple the KE... Which might make sense in terms of overall Work potential (KE(in) vs. KE(out)), but again, since KE is converted to a lot of different forms, AND because KE is LOST in inelastic collisions, we can't actually use KE to quantify work done in inelastic collisions, we have to come back to momentum, and then calculate the KE(out)....
Old 07-15-2024, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

not much into the science of terminal ballistics but my 458 socom running a 300 gr hp at around 2000 fps will ruin about anythings day inside of 150 yards.
Old 07-15-2024, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Momentum values mass and velocity equally - if we double mass at the same velocity, we double momentum. If we double velocity at the same bullet mass, we double momentum...
It pencils out the same. But it's a lot easier and more practical to double the mass than double the velocity.
Old 07-17-2024, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
It pencils out the same. But it's a lot easier and more practical to double the mass than double the velocity.
If you really want to pull the absurdism here, let's talk about how "easy" that really is - It gets pretty hard to double mass while holding velocity constant, just as hard as doubling velocity...

If I can get a 55grn bullet up to 3400fps in a measly little 5.56, what do you have that gets a 110 up to 3400? It's a hell of a lot more powder to get there - a magnum case, typically a long action, eating more than twice as much powder... If I can get a 200grn bullet up to 2600 in a 30-06, what cartridge case do you need to get at 400grn bullet up to 2600? Even a 416 Rigby doesn't get there, eating around twice as much powder... If I want to double velocity, I can start with a 357mag with a 158 at 1250 and swap to a 308win which pushes a 160 to 2500... I can swap from a 300grn 44mag at 1300 to a 375 H&H which pushes a 300 to 2600...I can pick up a 22LR with a 40grn bullet at 1250 and replace it with a 22 Hornet which gets the 40grn bullet up to 2800, or heck, I can stick it into a 223rem case and get a 40grn bullet up to 3750, TRIPLING the velocity for a fixed bullet weight... So we can do either double mass or double velocity, and neither are actually very sensible comparisons...

But the fact remains - momentum equally values mass and velocity, and is not "governed by mass" any more or less than it is "governed" by velocity. Pretty hard to disregard the simplicity of "Mass x velocity"...
Old 07-17-2024, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I can now see why Dad always said "I really like that kid but his math brain makes my head hurt"! And considering he was pretty dang smart in math that was saying a lot!
Old 07-18-2024, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The Redneck Einstein!"
Old 07-19-2024, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

The trick to reading no mercy's posts is to skip to the end and read the last paragraph or two where he generally summarizes what it all means lol.

- jake
Old 07-19-2024, 07:08 AM
Banned

The thing about this thread is that is that there are several people responding that have experience , years worth of experience using these so called "weak cartridges "and understand that the information on the box is not the end of the story . The op apparently has zero experience with them and is using the data on the boxes to make a decision. This issue is a good example of "the proof is in the Pudding not the interpretation of the recipe.! I will add this, I have taken at least 8 deer with my 45-70, I don't do notches or memorial every kill I make so I could be a number or two off either way , every one of those deer went down like it was pole axed including the one I took last season. I have had very few deer go down like that when I was using my .308 or .270. In addition what I have found, meat damage is substantially less with the 45-70 that the other two calibers.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-19-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Magazines and other new media don't help either.

They get paid to tout the newest greatest thing. That's where the money is.

- jake
Old 07-19-2024, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Magazines and other new media don't help either.

They get paid to tout the newest greatest thing. That's where the money is.

- jake
True that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.