Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a shotgun please!

Old 11-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Help me pick a shotgun please!

hey all this my first post here so i was wondering if ya' ll could help me out.

im 18 and i have been using a nameless single shot 12g 2 3/4" for the last 3 years for everything from squirrel to geese to deer with really good success but i could use an extra shot or 2 for waterfowl and rabbits shotgun.
since i will be hunting geese and turkey every year and probly deer with buckshot i am looking for a 3 1/2" and only a 3 1/2" . i want a pump as autoloaders are outta my price range which is below $700 canadian (gun only, accessories ill pay more) i am trying to find a good 3 1/2" combo with a fully rifled barrel (shotgun for deer every year) . have been looking at the remington 870 express supermag combo but i have discovered that u cant get it in synthetic (ill be rough on it so i dotn want wood) so if i have to ill just get the wood. i havent been able to find any other pump 3 1/2" fully rifled combos anywhere. i would really like a winchester 1300 black shadow combo but it only comes in 3" .

please let me know how the 870 express supermag' s rifled barrel shoots at 100-125 yards as well as any other shotguns that would be good for me.

also please let me know the ups and downs of the remmy 870 supermag combo as well as any other guns that u all reccomend.

thanx
Old 11-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help me pick a shotgun please!

I dont think Remington has a 3 1/2 fully rifled barrel they have a smooth bore 3 1/2.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:04 PM

Maybe buy a synthetic 3 1/2 and a synthetic 3' ' . I know the express' s and black shadows are pretty reasonable. guys that I know don' t like lugging the 3 1/2' s around deer and small game hunting. They use them more for turkey and goose or duck blinds. You could get 2 guns for under the price of an autoloader.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:17 PM

I thought of something else; you' ll have to check the manufacturers sites because I think on the 3 1/2' ' combos the slug barrel is still 3' ' . I don' t believe there are any 3 1/2' ' slugs out there. I think they want the 3' ' barrel with the combo so you don' t shoot 2 3/4' ' and 3' ' slugs out of the 3 1/2' ' barrel. Maybe this has changed but you better check. I think a friend of mine ran into that with a mossberg combo.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

If you want syn. buy the gun and then add a Hastings slug barrel. I' m not a slug gunner but people tell me the Hastings slug barrel is better than most factory slug barrels. And you won' t go wrong with the 870, Bass Pro just opened up down here and was selling the black 870 Exp. Super Mag for 250.00 almost bought one just for thr heck of it.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:19 AM

check out the Mossberg 835. Up to 3 1/2" for birds and rifled barrels are available. Patterns really well, from what I hear and quite versitile.Lots of people bash Mossy, but to each his own, lots of others swear by them.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:04 PM

i was lookin at the mossberg combo too but i just cant see myself walking around with that ugly gun....i hate the cheap camo pattern they use 0on the 3 1/2" combo.

ya i know that the remy 870 supermag comes with a 3" fully rifled barrel btw....

i know that i dont really need the 3 1/2" all the time but in the area that i hunt there is a large bush with 5 ponds surrounding it that often have ducks and/or geese in them. also be using buckshot for deer as the farthest u can see in the bush where i hunt is about 50 yards anyways but i need the rifled barrel for when i setup a stand along any of the fields. plus theres lots of jack rabbits and coyotes in the area so i need the extra umph to bring em down quickly.

i called le barons today (in ontario) and i can get a remy 870 super mag combo for $650 canadian, but its wood......i wanted synthetic and u cant get synthetic for that combo.

i am probably going to get a red dot scope to keep on it all the time but ive haerd that they are useless for deer past 75yards because the dot is too big....can this be fixed by getting a scope that u can change the reticles???please let me know which red dot ya' ll like.

thanx

Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 PM

Too bad you can' t cross the border to Wal-Mart you can buy the black shadow deer with rifled barrel and the syn 870 supermag for about 250 each.[]
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 PM

for the hunting you described,i would get the rem exp super mag.i have one and it has a black synthethic stock and chambered for 23/4-31/2" shells.i would get the 26" barrel and get the different choke tubes for the game you hunt.simply,get the imp cyl tube to shoot slug with.rem offers a rifled slug tube that works fine also.i only use mine to turkey hunt,but if i only could have one gun, this would be the one.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

It looks like you have decided on an 870. You can do two things. #1 Lever Arms has the 3.5" supermag synthetic for $499.cdn you then buy a slug barrel for $250 CDN. and you are just $50 over budget. #2 buy the super mag express combo in wood for $660CDN @Wholesale sports, and hunt as is, when and if the stock gets chewed up replace it with a synthetic camo one @ $120CDN. You are $80 bucks over budget. I wouldn' t look at a red dot sight under $300. several guys here put some cheap ones ($150-200) on there slug guns and they couldn' t take the wet weather, none have them on now. I think you should give the Mossberg a good look. The Mod 835 ultra mag turkey combo comes with 24" barrel and an extra full choke tube , you would want to buy a mod tube @$30 , and a fully rifled extra barrel with fiber optic sights. Whole sale sports has it for $700 CDN . Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a shotgun please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.