Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick a shotgun please!

Old 11-13-2003, 05:45 AM

Default RE: Help me pick a shotgun please!

thx for all the replies guys...

ya im pretty sure that im gonna get the remy 870 exp super mag combo but i was just wondering 1 thing.....ive heard that the " matte" finish on the barrel is actually a cheap machining job and ive heard that they r bad for rust is this true?

also, i really want a red dot so i was just wondering if i should get the reciever drilled and tapped or buy a saddle mount for the scope?

those who have owned or use the super mag could ya plz let me know wut things may go wrong with it, how good is the action, and wut kinda patterns it shoots a 100 yards with a fully rifled barrel.

thanx all

Canadian Hunter312
Old 11-13-2003, 08:42 AM

Your going with the Rem.?[]....hahahahaha.GOOD LUCK!!!!! You should look around the web in other bird hunting sites, you' ll find plenty of info on their express[cheapo] line of shotguns. Remington owners stand beside their guns to the bitter end, after all the OLD Rem. were good guns. If your dead set on Rem., than just make sure it' s pre1995. The new express line has had MORE than it' s fair share of problems.[:' (]

Heres another option, buy a gun in black syn. and use aftermarket camo covering like snakeskin or better yet, camohide as seen inCabelas.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:24 PM

so plainsman wut would u recomend then?

i want to get a combo that has a 3 1/2" vent rib barrel either 26" or 28" long that comes with a fully rifled slug barrel in 3" for deer. that is exactly what i want so give me some suggestions please. BTW what r some problems that the new express' s have?

thx for yer input

Old 11-13-2003, 04:08 PM

Canadian, here' s the deal, as I see it.the express line is the budget/cheap side of Rem. As I' ve searched the web I' ve seen more problems relating to the express line than any other shotgun out, mostly due to jamming to a point of being unusable in the field. Look around, you' ll notice guys are having more trouble with new REM. than any other make, sad but true!!! I know the Rem. fans are getting madder and madder at me all the time. Guess what, I don' t give a rats a$$, I would' nt make these statements if I did' nt believe them myself!!! I' m not here to B.S. anyone, I' m not going to tell you something I don' t think is true!!! If THOUSANDS of guys are now calling them jammingtons,there must be SOMETHING to it, ya think???

For the money, I' d go with the Mossy 835.After looking around alot I' ve seen almost nothing but positive responses about them, Like I' ve said, look in various sites on the web, waterfowl and turkey. I know the woodland camo is ugly, but, as I' ve stated above, there are ways around that.The 835 is maybe THE best factory patterning shotgun in production, no need for buying choke tubes for birds. 10 year warrenty don' t hurt nothing either

It' s up to you,but that would be my game plan. Like I said, I' ve been doing LOTS of research. The best bang for your buck, as I see it anyhow
Old 11-13-2003, 04:30 PM

As I' ve searched the web I' ve seen more problems relating to the express line than any other shotgun out, mostly due to jamming to a point of being unusable in the field. Look around, you' ll notice guys are having more trouble with new REM. than any other make, sad but true!!! I know the Rem. fans are getting madder and madder at me all the time. Guess what, I don' t give a rats a$$, I would' nt make these statements if I did' nt believe them myself!!! I' m not here to B.S. anyone, I' m not going to tell you something I don' t think is true!!! If THOUSANDS of guys are now calling them jammingtons,there must be SOMETHING to it, ya think???
Ya know, there are THOUSANDS of guys right here on this message board that have a better knowledge of a 870. When was the last time you shot a 870 much less, ever owned one. I would put mine against your POS any day.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:54 PM

Ya know, there are THOUSANDS of guys right here on this message board that have a better knowledge of a 870. When was the last time you shot a 870 much less, ever owned one. I would put mine against your POS any day.
I don' t " limit" myself to this site, as I am a member of a number of other sites also.It would appear to be certain opinions hold with different sites and not others. I' ve noticed Rem. lovers on one site and on another they are dispised, opinions make the world go around ,get used to it.

Last time I shot 1 was about 10yr. ago,when they were still made well. Never owned one and NEVER will. As for putting your 870 against my POS, sure, anytime. My POS happens to be a 1965 A5, still functions flawlessly by the way.You should find out whats under the hood BEFORE you want to race
Old 11-13-2003, 05:23 PM

i was lookin at the mossy 835 combo and i like how it has the double bead as well as the dual comb stock and the cantilever rifled barrel. id be able to put up with the ugliness....only thing i really wouldnt like if i got it would be the 24" vent rib barrel that comes with that combo....i want 28" .

i also havent been able to find any gun dealers with web sites that even sell a single mossberg shotung in southwestern ontariio. if ya know any gun shops that do plz let me know. also does anyone know the average price of this combo in canadian dollars?

thx everyone
Old 11-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

If you live near Maine cross over and you can buy a used Moss500 for around $150. If you have WalMart up there, go on line and see what you can order its pretty cheap.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:06 PM

Check out S.I.R. mail order out of winipeg,I' m sure they can set you up. As for the 24" barrel, there are some guys using them on birds.From what I' ve read, they say the difference from 24 to 26 to28 is minimal.I found that a little strange,but thats what some have been saying[] Personally,I really don' t know, ask the guys at SIR maybe they can shed some insight.
Hope this helps, let me know
Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 PM

for some reason none the walmarts in southern ontario sell any gun except for pellet guns. but is it possible to call an american walmart and get them to send it to one close to where i live in southwestern ontario???? or get the supplier for the american guns to send it to a canadian walmart? if so that would be great. ive never thought about this but i hope u guys can let me know if its possible.

also, after u buy a shotgun and u shoot it a few times and realize u dont like it can u just take it back to the gun shop for a refund? i dont wanna get stuck with a gun that i dont like.

tryin to find out which would be the best gun for me since im still waiting for my PAL firearms licenese (only have minors right now) and as soon as i get it im going the end of that week to get my gun.

thx for everybodies help

PS if anyone knows a gun dealer in ontario that sellls mossberg 835 combos please let me know

PPS when i get a shotgun should i get it drilled and tapped or get a saddle mount for a scope?

Quick Reply: Help me pick a shotgun please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.