Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do you like gun shows?

Old 01-14-2022, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you like gun shows?

Just wondering if anybody here is into gun shows. We have a small one here tomorrow nearby that I might visit just to support it. Not a buyer right now, though.

They say they aren't what they used to be--things like beef jerky taking over tables that once held guns, a common complaint among collectors.

Personally, I enjoy them just for the atmosphere and the chance to check out a bunch of guns.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:08 PM
Spike

I try to attend any gun show within an hours drive from home. I have purchased (only) one shotgun at all the shows I have attended. I like to look at the guns and I usually buy reloading supplies and ammo, if they are reasonably priced. There was a guy who usually had a good supply of powder and primers. Of course he hasn't been at any show for the last 18 months.

Mainly I just like to look.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. I enjoy gun shows. I like sportsman's shows even better cause it combines guns and hunting. Like you said, it's an atmosphere thing and a chance to be around other people who have similar interests.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit going to shows because I simply couldn’t rationalize them any longer. I’m no longer trading on an FFL and shows no longer represent a common resource for great prices. I’m largely over the novelty of being able to see certain firearms I haven’t seen before or don’t see often, and my list of “first time” firearms has become rather short. I’ve gone to a few shows which had vendors with big parts inventories, but I really only do so to get my toe in their door and then order/buy/source from then on over the phone or email.

My son saw a billboard this winter and asked if I would take him, as he had never yet been to one. We went last month, and he enjoyed seeing so many guns in one place and seeing so many unique firearms he had not yet before seen. But overall, without his wonderlust, the experience largely confirmed my own feelings - I’ve already done as many gun shows as I need to have done.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Olde NE Hunter
I try to attend any gun show within an hours drive from home. I have purchased (only) one shotgun at all the shows I have attended. I like to look at the guns and I usually buy reloading supplies and ammo, if they are reasonably priced. There was a guy who usually had a good supply of powder and primers. Of course he hasn't been at any show for the last 18 months.

Mainly I just like to look.
This is sort of my approach. My vocation limits my spending money, so I generally have to sell a gun to buy a gun. Occasionally, I'll carry one I'd be willing to part with, and see what kind of interest it draws from the crowds.

I like sportsman's shows even better cause it combines guns and hunting. Like you said, it's an atmosphere thing and a chance to be around other people who have similar interests.
Yeah, unfortunately, I never seem to catch a sportsman' show when it fits my schedule.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

I used to go allot. It used to be a place to get cheap ammo etc. For the most part the days of good deals are gone. Best deals can be found online now.

I've sold a few guns at them over the years but never bought any from a gun show that I can think of.

Nowadays I've got enough junk knives and trinkets. I suppose as the boys get older I'll take them to a few with a little spending money. Don't think I've been to a gun show since probably 2016 or so.

-Jake
Old 01-15-2022, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It’s just SO MUCH EASIER to sell unique, surplus, curio, etc stuff online these days than to pack it up every weekend and hit show after show. Low margin stuff costs a ton to pack and repack and repack and move and move and move, just to eventually run into the right guy which needs it on the right day that he’s at the right show - but the internet reaches the entire country every day, all day…

We’ve also seen a drying of old pipelines which always easily paid back the show fees and travel. The few shops I worked for over the years which would occasionally show all used the same trick: order a few crates of Yugo SKS’s, swede and Argentine Mausers, grab a couple AK’s, a few crates of surplus ammo - buy them for nothing, mark them at “nothing plus a little,” and they’d fly off of the table at shows. Great returns on easy sales, and it paid for the burden of showing, so the rest of the sales we made were gravy. Can’t buy crates of import yugo’s for $30-45 each any more, so you can’t have a pez dispenser of $75-90 yugo’s sitting on your table… and by the way… gas is $3/gal instead of $1.25…
Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I rarely go anymore simply because most of the dealers now really jack up their prices at them. Now it seems that its the same stuff at all the tables. You used to be able to go and get a decent price on a used gun but not any more. I can get better pricing going to my local gun shop and not pay an admittance fee! LOL. Also, it seems that more and more dealers are selling "black rifle" stuff. Not that I'm opposed to them. Not in the least as I have 3 myself.
I'll go if my friend goes and I'll buddy him along in the hopes I'll find that unusual gun. (I can still kick my butt for not buying a LH Winchester 70 in 375 H&H many years ago)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

there are exceptions but lately, I find most sellers, at the local gun shows,
have either raised prices to the point there are few if any bargains,
or they are trying to unload junk inventory, guns that are no longer made,
and /or with parts that are not generally easy to find,
and weapons that they just can't sell easily else ware.
that or the sellers tables are filled with merchandise that is vaguely if at all related to ,
reloading, hunting, or weapons.
now Id expect the guys selling,
gun safes, camo clothing and survival food, tents, etc.
but
Ive seen tables at gun shows selling
storm shudders,
home air conditioners,
home security alarms,
water purification systems etc.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-18-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

there are exceptions but lately, I find most sellers, at the local gun shows,
have either raised prices to the point there are few if any bargains,
I've found most sellers willing to negotiate. Getting a fair price has not been problematic in my experience.