Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Precision Rifle Company's--HELP

Old 12-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default Custom Precision Rifle Company's--HELP

I would like to know of some good service, reasonable priced custom precision rifle makers? Looking to have one built but don't really want to break the bank to much. Any opinions much appreciated!

Also, can anyone tell me about Alamo Precision Rifles? One off the top of my head, thats pretty reasonable, and seems to make good quality rifles.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might want to offer some information as to what YOU intend to do with it ??

300 yards or 1,000 yards ?

7lbs or 15lbs ?

Varmints or big game (or only paper) ?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Spike

Hunting, Big Game/Varmint. Getting into paper punch more and more would like to be able one day to consistently hit up to 1000 yards. would like lighter rifle, in 6.5 Creedmoor
Possible Carbon wrapped barrel but don't know about them, have heard good and bad.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

lean towards 10#+, I have 2 big 7mm chambered rifles, they both sport 9 twist lilja barrels, one tips the scales scoped and ready to shoot at 8.5#'s, the other hits 14.5#'s+, they both will average .375" groups at 100, at 750 yards the heavier rifle will average around 3", the 8.5 # rifle has yet to break 6", they were built by 2 different world class smiths, the only difference is weight.
RR
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

Seeing that this is your 5th post, I will simple tell your that RR is one of the very best.

Nomercy usually offers important detailed information as well.

Jeepkid was one of the first people I interacted with here, and I always look for his remarks !

There are many others who also know that they are talking about here.

It's a learning "process".............. just like anything else.

Make sure to say Thank You along the way !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-08-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Ditto what Sheridan said and I believe (not positive but he can verify if true) that jeepkid possibly works at a custom rifle making shop (based on some previous comments from other members). All 3 (RR, NoMercy448 and Jeepkid) are invaluable resources on this site.

Something else to consider are all of the intended uses you listed. You posted "Hunting, Big Game/Varmint. Getting into paper punch more and more would like to be able one day to consistently hit up to 1000 yards." While you could theoretically use a single caliber for all of them (even the 6.5 Creedmore), any caliber would be hard pressed to be the best choice for all of them. As an example, 6.5 would be a little light for elk but would be too much for shooting fox and bobcat if you're looking for a mount. The more you can describe all of the uses you are looking for, the better advice all of our experts above can give you. Good luck and let us know how it works out. And pics are always cool.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I don't actually work at the shop, but I am part owner of it. The shop is in Wyoming and I am in California so working "hands on" is a bit difficult.

We could certainly build you a rifle, but to be honest it won't be as cheap as the Alamo rifles. Those are a pretty dang good deal and are definitely worth looking into deeper! Another rifle that just came out is the Christensen Mesa, at around $1200 it is also very attractive.

Your budget will be the deciding factor, a full custom will be anywhere between $3000 to $6000 especially since you mentioned carbon barrels. We get our carbon barrels from Benchmark usually.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Spike

Thanks to everyone first off for any comments and education!

I'm sorry for sounding pretty basic in my posts and possibly asking some dumb questions. I have hunted all my life which hasn't been that long. I know a good amount about the basics of firearms and a good chance more than the average person. Over the years though I have became much more interested in stepping up my skill set! Along with that as you know some of the articles you come upon through the internet are very bias and hard to believe. I thought by joining a decent popular forum I would be able to find gun enthusiasts that would be willing to teach and help out with problems! So again thank you for all your input!

So a little more in depth with my problem. I am deciding on purchase either a custom rifle or production rifle. This is my main objective as of now, hunting whitetail, muley, antelope (which i call big game too, sorry if people don't class that as a big game animal), all varmints (mainly coyote calling). I am very comfortable with 300 400 yard shots with production guns, BUT I want to enhance my ability obviously through PRACTICE and known the gun. That is why I was leaning towards a custom gun. (along with the fact I want to reload a round that my rifle loves to eat) I want to be able to reach 600 800 yards with kills. Also with that I know a gun is only as good as the scope on it, so I will not be going cheap on one.

One last thing I narrowed it down to 6.5 Creedmoor being a very good round minimal kick, which I am looking for. I previously been using a .300 WSM and love the knock down power, but as you know it destroys the deer and to my opinion its much overkill. From all the reading I have done the 6.5 has a very good BC and for long range still maintains knock down power. If I am wrong about anything correct me!!

Thanks, Again
Old 12-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Spike

Side Note!
With that last post would a production rifle ex) Savage Model 10TR with 24 inch heavy barrel custom loaded ammo shoot to the requirements I am asking? or for that matter any other rifle?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

This question is right up Ridge Runner's alley as he likes to hunt long range and has probably tried almost any rifle/barrel combo you ask about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.