Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Precision Rifle Company's--HELP

Old 12-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can run a 6.5x284 in a MRC short action, they have a 3.1" mag box.

If you want to step up to a long action, I would skip the 6.5x284 and go to a .264 Win Mag, 6.5 Wby, .284 Diablo or a 26 Nosler if you are stuck on a 6.5mm bore.

I had a 6.5x284 for a while, great cartridge but I'm a speed freak and it's nothing "special", that's why the Creed doesn't excite me at all. If I burn a barrel out in under 1000 rounds, another barrel will get spun on and and be back to shooting in a few hours.

If you are looking for barrel life and being economical then an old .308 Win could be a good choice. It'll teach you ballistics since it's not necessarily a "flat shooter" and very good factory ammo can be had for good prices. Almost all rifles are chambered in it and ammo is everywhere. Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

I am a hunter first !!!

So after dove, deer, upland birds, waterfowl, bobcats, turkey, etc there is at least 6 months of "down-time".

After hunting season I mostly shoot at various ranges, kill coyotes and shoot ground squirrels.

We all wish we had a unlimited budget and could buy/build as many guns as we wanted - impossible dream (LOL).

Start thinking about what kind of "shooting" you do MOSTLY.........................Because this is where you will do MOST of your "practicing".

What you learn there will be invaluable as you start to "stretch-out" your range - for me now, it about leaning how to "dope" the wind better !

It sounds like you already have guns to hunt big game with anyway.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-10-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sheridan has a really good point. I do a lot of my "long range practice" with .223rem or even .17HMR. The physics of it all is all the same - but for these lighter bullets, the wind calls are even more important. I've never seen a newbie miss a 24" plate at 600yrds if the rifle is a .5-.6 BC bullet moving 2700-3200fps and the trajectory is dialed for them. It's not that difficult to shoot at long ranges with long range rifles...

Shooting a tiny group at 100yrds is just as difficult as shooting the same angular dispersion at 800, from a technique and equipment stand point, until you go transsonic. What is really the difficult part is the wind call, the environmental estimates, and the diligence of knowing your trajectory - or at least knowing how to figure it out. Practicing with lighter weight bullets in smaller cartridges will let your fire more shots for less cost, and make your wind calls even more critical. If you can shoot 600 with a .223rem, then shooting 800 with a 6.5creed will be child's play. The best shooting "practice" I ever do is carrying a rangefinder, an anemometer (wind meter), and a little notebook with me whenever I'm outside. I'll watch different trees, bushes, types of grass, etc, look through the rangefinder at the mirage lines, feel the wind and how it moves against and around terrain... Then I make notes. When I'm not in the field, I compare my notes and study them. I make estimates for wind speed at certain positions, then I'll ride over and take a reading to see how far off I might be.

As they used to say - it's the Indian, not the arrow. In modern form, it's the rifleman, not the rifle. Your best money spent is most likely going to be simply buying ammo and paying for instruction, rather than buying a new rifle. If you have a sub to 1moa rifle that can push a .5-.6bc bullet to 2800-3200fps, shoot the he11 out of it at long range until you've minimized your angular dispersion growth over range (shooting 1/2moa at 100 but 4moa at 600 is not a rifle problem).
Old 12-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Spike

Hey Thanks everyone really appreciate the help! Y'all make very good points that didn't really dawn on me until they had been said!
Old 12-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mattz
Yes, Thanks CalHunter I believe he answered it in my last post!

Ridge Runner or As you said before in the last post 6.5X284 Norma was the round you would go with, what are some of the main reasons? They look like there almost identical to what I have found for information, besides the 284 being little faster and bigger. I guess what caught my attention was the availability of the materials to reload and not breaking the bank.

I am sure though you have lots more information about the Norma rounds than I do!

Thank you Super Hunt54 for the info very informative! Would you happen to know much about the 6.5X284?

Can even through in the 26 Nosler round? (Besides it being expensive)
don't recall suggesting a 6.5/284, to short of neck, wrong throat angle to give good barrel life, especially for a beginner. no use burning up a barrel trying to learn ballistics, form, and technique.
I would suggest 308, or 7mm/08 to start with. Its not really the cartridge that makes a long range round, its the bullet, that's the first thing I choose when looking into a new build after I pick a diameter. A high BC bullet of moderate velocity will do amazing things, beyond 500 yards BC outruns velocity every time.
RR