Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What' s the scoop on scopes?

Old 10-24-2003, 02:21 PM

Default What' s the scoop on scopes?

Hello all!
I' m looking for recommendations on a scope for my Remington 870 express 20 gauge shotgun.
I' ve heard that eye relief for a person my size (about 5' 4 130lbs) is a big issue because I may have to lean further forward than usual. I also should mention I' m using a cantileve barrel, because that puts the scope further forward...

Last year I used a Simmons and I hated it. Well, I bought it 2 dyas before deer season, had a local gunsmith put it on (saddle mount) - but several veteran hunters could not get it sighted in - it would constantly be way off on way or another - we got it to 8 inches ' southeast' of center and ran with it. I shot at 3 deer and missed (and I swear it wasn' t my fault - tho I did fall with the gun on the way out one day..)

ANYWAY, BACK TO THE POINT...
what are your recomendations, especially for a girl on a budget of say, $250 or less (pref as less as possible)
Old 10-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What' s the scoop on scopes?

Red Tractor,
The kind of barrel you mention has the mount on the barrel right or do you mount on the reciver?

Anyway I solved this problem for my cousin in Illinios,her' s mounted on the barrel.We ended up putting a pistiol scope on it,made by burris.Gave her plenty of eye relife.

Other makers offer scout scope they have 10-12 in of eye relife.

Welcome to the board.BBJ
Old 10-25-2003, 04:22 PM

Default RE: What' s the scoop on scopes?

I had the same problem with a Simmons and a saddle mount on my 870 12 guage a couple years ago. A shotgun magnifies the problems with cheap scopes. There was no way for me to keep the thing sighted in. So I scraped up some money to buy a rifled cantilever barrel and I put a Leupold 2-7X33 shotgun scope on it. The good thing about Leupolds is they are durable, rugged, and have a lifetime warranty. I bought mine two years ago and shopped around on the internet until I found one for $240. If that' s too expensive, Nikon also makes decent scopes for a shotgun that will cost between $120 and $200 or so. I' d look at either of these, cheaper scopes usually have less eye relief, at least that' s something I noticed seemed to be true when looking through Cabelas.