Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06 questions

Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb

OH and forgot to mention
a DRAW back to shooting full charged loads out of a mod chamber, is you also have MUST higher risks of splitting necks on case, more stress there, and lower life of cases can happen!
plus chamber wear increases as every one splits!
so?
Put the crack pipe down buddy!
RR
Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL easy there RR. But I agree there is some anomalies there in his little post. #1, what good is fire forming brass to ANOTHER chamber? The whole point of fire forming is to have your brass dimensions MATCHING the chamber dimensions of the rifle you are shooting.

As far as case life, that's why you anneal! Start out with decent NEW brass, fire form, neck size only, and anneal. You will find your brass will last as long as the primer pocket lasts. I find the pet load each barrel likes and load up at minimum 200 rounds for my "hunting" rifles that only get shot enough to stay proficient with that particular rifle and for my paper toys I load up around 1000. I have brass for a couple of my rifles that are on their 8th reload and showing absolutely no signs of wear. One being rounds for my AR 10 in 7mm-08 that are loaded on the pretty hot side. That WAS my longer range hog rifle (had a AR 10 .338fed built for that extra OUCHIE at 400 yards) and has taken approximately 450 hogs and a couple thousand paper shots through it. No split necks yet and zero throat erosion. You set your OAL correctly and fire form you will get less gas cutting (I.E. what causes throat erosion). Now SOME caliber/cartridge combinations are just flat out hell on a throat no matter how close of tolerances you load for like a .220 swift or any of the other large cartridge small caliber bullet combinations but you can extend barrel life through close tolerance loading and fire forming.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the great thing about the method I described to jake is, you can use those rounds for hunting, its not burning powder for nothing, you can develop all your data then just change the MV to match full power loads and your off.
RR
Ya, that is really nice. Especially when every penny counts. That's much simpler than I thought it would be.
-Jake
Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna start a new thread on this topic so that I don't continue to hijack the OPs thread. I have a few more questions.
-Jake
Old 04-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Put the crack pipe down buddy!
RR
I don't smoke crack there??
and when shooting full charged load that cause the case to expand, there is a chance of case separation as it forms the new chamber??
this isn't made up info
as for anneal brass YES
but again,
I am stating that fire forming NEW factory loaded ammo to a MOD chamber, , your NOT having the chance to anneal it, as its live loaded ammo!

as for why I used a separate chamber, it was to just get brass formed, and NOT spec MY rifle I planned to use it in, BUT darn close
and after that once loaded in my shooting rifle, it was then formed to MY chamber on THAT rifle

I simply used the extra chamber to fire form brass and NOT fill my barrel with corn meal!
there was a reason to my madness(as I guess you see it as??)

I learned this from Bobby Hart, of Hart Rifles A man that kinda knows a LOT about guns?? and wild cat calibers
been a good friend of his, his dad and his Grandfather(many moons ago when he was still with us)
and DON"T think it was bad advice or practice!
worked for me??
Old 04-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

and when shooting full charged load that cause the case to expand, there is a chance of case separation as it forms the new chamber??
this isn't made up info
as for anneal brass YES
but again,
I am stating that fire forming NEW factory loaded ammo to a MOD chamber, , your NOT having the chance to anneal it, as its live loaded ammo!

as for why I used a separate chamber, it was to just get brass formed, and NOT spec MY rifle I planned to use it in, BUT darn close
and after that once loaded in my shooting rifle, it was then formed to MY chamber on THAT rifle
Makes a bit more sense there when you state the use of factory ammo first. It's a rare occasion that I start with factory ammo. I buy my components and build my rounds from scratch. As far as case head separation and neck splitting goes, it's rare unless you are trying to fire form a .25-06 case to a 6.5 Gibbs or something like that where there would be a ton of forming to do under stress. Moderate shoulder bump from a .25-06 to a 6.5-06 AI would put very little stress on the case.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't smoke crack there??
this isn't made up info
as for anneal brass YES
but again,

I learned this from Bobby Hart, of Hart Rifles A man that kinda knows a LOT about guns?? and wild cat calibers
been a good friend of his, his dad and his Grandfather(many moons ago when he was still with us)
and DON"T think it was bad advice or practice!
worked for me??
This makes no sense, Bob Hart did not teach this, the only chambers you should be able to shoot factory ammo in are AI chambers for the parent cartridges, and an odd custom chamber here and there that are purposely built close enough to a factory chamber (IE 223 wylde in a 223 rem/5.56)
If you are talking an AI chamber, it is headspaced .004" shorter than the parent case so there is no chance of separation due to excessive headspace, more separations occur in factory chambers due to folks unknowingly from incorrect die settings than in a custom min spec chamber.
RR
Old 04-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was again talking about what I DID with my .30 hart and 300 wby caliber FACTORY ammo, and cases to get me MY brass for my .30 Hart
and IT was taught to me By Bobby Hart
been a long time friend of his most of my life!
so I am NOT talking AI chambers
or ALL wild cat calibers by any means

BUT the fact a chamber and a short bbl can be used to fire form brass, to get you fire formed brass??
this is a FACT< and again what I was saying I also DID, but it CAN be done on any caliber you are fire forming to MAKE brass
it will AGAIN NOT be fired formed to your exact Chamber, BUT it will be fire formed Brass of the caliber at hand
NOT sure why some folks like to be so???
to ONLY there way??
Life isn't that difficult if you keep an open mind!!
there are a lot of ways to make the same things in life many times??
Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

25-06 is a good caliber for deer and varmits. not sure about the marlin rifle. mine was a Remington 700 and it is still killing deer. sold it to my brother for one of his boys. he still thanks me for that rifle. loaded down with 75 or 85 grain bullets will do a number on groundhogs. 117 grain bullets will do the same on deer. nosler partitions would be a good bullet for deer also although I never used them.