Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun hunting

Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun hunting

I have to use a shotgun or muzzle loader for rifle season in my county. I don't have a muzzle loader, so I'm stuck with a shotgun. I would rather use a slug but I don't know what to do about the choke. The gun is a Weatherby PA-08 (http://www.weatherby.com/pa-08-upland.html) They only sell the three choke that come with it ( IC, Full, Mod)

So what are my options? Is it safe to take the choke out and shoot that way? Will another brand fit that has a "dummy" choke?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the Weatherby shotguns use the same threads and interchange with both Winchester and Mossberg shotguns. You can buy a tube, rifled or smooth, that should work in your shotgun.

There are a lot of choices available from different manufacturers but I do not think you would go wrong with Carlson.

Some slugs work well with rifled tubes, some with open (I/C, etc.) tubes.

Do not shoot with the choke tube removed from the barrel.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Weatherby PA-08 has a model that comes in with a rifles barrel with a cantilever scope mount, just buy the new barrel and swap between them for whatever hunting purpose you need the gun for.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, are you hunting the parks or something? Because 5b (Lancaster county) isn't shotgun, ML restricted. Only in the 6 parks that are open for hunting are there restrictions. All other spots in Lancaster county are open for CF rifle. Or are you heading over to 5c or 5d? (special regs areas).

As far as your question, they have 12 gauge rifled slug barrels for that model shotgun. They are much better and more accurate than smooth bore options like a rifled choke.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had to hunt in shotgun only areas when I was stationed in VA. Rather than try to make an existing shotgun into a deer gun I went out and got an H&R Ultra-Hunter in 12 ga. It has a rifled barrel and groups most slugs well. I topped it with a 2x7 scope and used it to tip over a pile of whitetails. If my memory serves me right I gave less than $225 for the gun new. You might want to check into something like this for yourself.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Super, you beat me to it, no shotgun area in Lancaster Co.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes I am going into Chester (5c) I have tags for Lancaster as well.

I did see the rifled barrel, but I am looking for something cheap. If I had to get the barrel, I would just as soon get a used muzzle loader...I'd rather not do that though.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cheap option would be to get an Improved cylinder choke and some Brenneke slugs, seen here http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html Those slugs are about the best you can get for a smooth bore shotgun barrel. They also recommend the Improved cylinder choke with those K.O. slugs.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Here is a rifled barrel on E bay for $50.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEATHERBY-12...item1a059b892c

Carlson choke fit chart for Weatherby
Weatherby: Interchanges with Winchester, Mossberg 500 and Weatherby style threads. $44.75
WOW buy the barrel off E bay.
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-...hoke&x=80&y=10

Just make sure you look over a used ML real good. Buy a bore light and look at that bore. You can also wad up in a small ball some tin foil and use a pen light to look at the bore but isn't as bright as a true bore light.

Al
Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Cheap option would be to get an Improved cylinder choke and some Brenneke slugs, seen here http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko.html Those slugs are about the best you can get for a smooth bore shotgun barrel. They also recommend the Improved cylinder choke with those K.O. slugs.

Thank you! that is what I am looking for. I'm amazed it is safe to use an IC choke with a slug though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.